engine - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-06-2004, 05:26 AM

Last journal entry: Dodge mania
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

engine

I am looking to build a truck that is very drivable, and I still need the power. I am leaning toward the 340 because i feel it is a better motor then the 360 and 318. Although if I could find a built up 318 for a good price I would not turn it down. As for heads rockers ect.. I havent even thought about it yet. Right now the IHC is so far away from being done that I havent woried about that to much. The main concerns I have had to deal with are finding a frame that would fit the truck and desiding on which one to settle on. The dakota was the one I decided on 1. because its dodge 2. its the easiest to put a small block into 3. It was the perfect width, I was so worried that I would have to modify a frame's width all I have to do with the dakota is legthin it a little ( I got a smoken deal on a shortbox). The main interest is my dad had a 78 dodge truck with a 440 police interceptor in it, and from all the stories ive heard about that truck it would be a blast to own similar power terain. maybe a quick question and it is kind of a stupid one but a 340 and a 318 have the same engine mounts right? My guess would be that it does. oh I am putting a picture of my 86 hear this has been my truck since I was 15.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	dodge11.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	12.9 KB
ID:	2734  

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-06-2004, 06:58 AM

Last wiki edit: Mopar tapered axle rear brake conversion
Last journal entry: What I'm doing now...
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 49

Why not go with a mild 383 or 400 big block. They're a dime a dozen and even a mild build will produce gobs of torque and a very streetable 400 ponies. The only difficulty might be headers in the Dakota frame but they make block huggers for the B/RB engines so even that shouldn't be a big problem.

Centerline
Old 10-06-2004, 09:39 AM

Last photo:

I too would go for the 340, or better yet the 440 if it would fit.
Old 10-06-2004, 08:19 PM

Last photo:

Im not a huge fan of the 383 I know it is a big block and all but if I was to use a big block it would be a 440 ( i just happen to know where a police interceptor is). And a 440 would fit its just a more difficult job, with the small blocks I can bolt up a 727 and it should all fit fine once i get the different driveshaft. The sweet thing about the dakota frames are that the dakotas came with 318s in them, making the whole transformation just that much easier. I also am looking for something a little cheaper to hot rod mainly because I am a University student and money is a big issue.

I was actually laughing at my buddy cause he gave me a great idea, I am going to incorporate the whole "cornbinder" theme with the truck along with an airbrushed "hotrod tractor on the dash" This is a little ways away from being reality but im getting excited. I do have to finish my other 2 projects first the 86 4x4(bush wagon), the 73 stepside and hopefully new paint on the 86 2whl.

By the way centerline, Those are sweet flames. Love the ride

Ill post a picture on a later date of my dads 51 pontiac 2door torpedo back. He is also planning on doing it again. Its been about 20 years since it was last done. He has owned the car since he was 14 years old (lol) trust me that was a long time ago.
Old 10-06-2004, 08:27 PM

Last photo:

Heres acouple of images of the IHC pickups we have. All the pieces are there just some have been taken off to be worked on
Attached Images

Old 10-06-2004, 08:28 PM

Last photo:

the other one
Attached Images

Old 10-06-2004, 08:43 PM

Last photo:

Are you sure the 440 will be that much more expensive? I would look into it, because you could get by with alot more with a 440.....meaning less goodies $$$. And won't the 727 bolt up to the 440? Just have to cut the driveshaft to fit.
Old 10-07-2004, 01:49 PM

Last photo:

Ya that is another way to look at it, I would need less "goodies" for the power, another problem with a big block is that it is alot heavier then a dakota is suposed to have and it doesnt rev as high. I am still undecided because there are so many advantages of each. Another advantage of the 440 is you can say "It has a big block". And you never know, my girlfriend thinks I should put in a big block, my dad thinks I should put in a big block. I believe his reaction was "that would be really fun in that small of a truck"
Stepside's story
My stepside's power terain I dont even need to worry about the truck already came with a rebuilt 318. Who ever had it was planning on fixing the truck up when it got T boned and written off. I managed to buy the truck for $600 and have put about $600 into it and recently bought a new cab to replace the crunched one for $50. I did already fix up the old one but its pritty hard to get that kind of damage strait. I welded in a new cab corner and did minor adjustments to the door jam ( with a come along) It looks ok but I would still have to replace the rocker on that side and this was a lot easier then finishing all the rest of it. Plus its already off the frame so I can put it on the roticery and do a really good job of it.
Old 10-08-2004, 11:02 AM

You can always split the difference between the BB and SB and put together a smallblock stroker. 360 block+4" MP/Scat crank =408 cubic inches. If your doing a full rebuild anyway, the only real cost difference is the $330 for the crank. Good hp, boatloads of torque, and you won't have to wind it to 6K RPM to make max power. All the extra torque from 408 cubes and 4" stroke means you can run a nice high street gear with virtually no performance penalty. Besides, when you blow somebody's doors off, you can always say "It's just a smallblock".

BTW, not to be a jerk or anything, but there is no such thing as a police interceptor 440. Police Interceptor is a Ferd term. Mopar cop cars just had the same 440 Magnums that passenger cars received.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.