Hot Rod Forum banner

Engine Assembly Lube of choice?

7K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  Mr. P-Body 
#1 ·
When I was in school; the goo of choice was Lubriplate 105. Is this still the case? A lot of old farmers just used 30wt oil as long as you were going to run it ASAP. Ive also used petroleum jelly here at the shop to put gearboxes together (thick enough, dissipates easily in oil and cheap, however it does get really thin when its hot out). I just don't want to buy 37 different bottles to put together 1 shade tree 307

#2 ·
I use Comp Cams 104 for all the bearings, but I use 30 wt. oil for the rings and pistons. I've always used motor oil for rings and pistons with no problems. I don't like to use anything too heavy on the cylinder walls, as I've been leary of it sticking to rings.

#4 ·
I suppose I should have specified. I would never use an assembly 'grease' for the pistons/rings. Im also not a fan of dunking the pistons in oil. Also, what are the current thoughts on soaking hydraulic lifters? I've heard a few people saying not to; in fact the Northern engine kits website specifically tells you NOT to which led to my questions

#5 ·
Guess I've always done it wrong, as I soak my lifters overnight before dropping them in. I do wipe them off and use assembly lube on the outside before dropping them in though.
I've got 13 yrs./20,000 miles on my 427 now, and 4500 miles on my 327, and both were done this way with flat tappet hydraulic lifters.

#6 ·
This was taken from Comp Cam's web site: I have always soaked mine in oil but never "pre-pump" them.

It is not necessary to “pre-pump” hydraulic lifters full of engine oil prior to installation and valve
adjustment. It is actually undesirable to do so as the “pumped up” lifters will cause the valves
to open during the adjustment process, rather than positioning the lifter plunger in its operating
position as it is supposed to do. “Pre-soaking” hydraulic lifters in a bath of engine oil is a good
idea but not mandatory. Doing so ensures that the lifters are adequately lubricated on their outer
surfaces prior to installation. It may also result in a quieter engine start up as the oil in the bath
may displace some air from the lifter’s plunger reservoir. Coat the bottoms of all flat tappet

#8 ·
Pematex ultra stick assembly lube highly recommended. This stuff clings on better than a tick on a deers sack. For lifters I have never soaked or filled them before hand, engine preoiling with drill and an old gutted distributor (gear ground down) will put oil in the lifter after the valves are set.

Lifter face and cam lobes get a health dose of this ultra stick then the lifter gets a quick dunk in AC delco engine oil supplement and in they go. Put a full bottle of EOS into the lifter valley as well, on goes the intake. Never wiped a lobe, so far so good. :sweat:

#9 ·
Some good answers here. The idea of "pumping lifters up" prior to installation went away many years ago. The reasons sited in the quote from Comp is exactly right. I used to have a SnapOn "lifter pump" (looked like a pair of pliers with odd "ends"). Sold it in 1981... We actually srtarted setting "stem height" and counting the number of threads exposed above the nut, not unlike the "non-adjustable" Fords, Dodges, Pontiacs, etc. Makes for a much "nicer" engine when you don't have to "open" it again (valve covers).

The GM EOS idea is good. We've been doing it with STP for years. We use a noly-graphite "paste" on the lifter pottoms and rod bearings, "Mellube" or FM assembly lube on the mains and cam bearings, and 30 ND on the rings and pistons.

As long as it says "assembly lube" somewhere, you're usually okay. No white lithium, PLEASE! (it dosn't "blend" with engine oil)

Jim

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.