Hot Rod Forum banner

engine back from machine shop...what now?

893 views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  awoodman 
#1 ·
What exactly should I do to clean the engine now? I got some nylon bore brushes and went through the galleries with 409 and got them all clean. I went through the lifter bores with a brush and 409 and then put a thin layer of wd40 in there. What should I with the cylinders to clean them and is there anything else to look out for?

#2 ·
Take some WD40, spray it on a white paper towel, wipe the cylinder bore down, then look at the paper towel, if you see gray, it`s not clean. The stones used to hone the block are gray and impregnate in the bore, you have to scrub the bore down good to get it clean. I buy a new toilet brush and dip it in a bucket of sea foam, then scrub the bores clean. then you can use WD40 on the bores and see no gray on the towel, it`s clean. It`s also a good idea to go over each bore with carb cleaner first, about 3 cans should do it. After the bores are clean, wash the block good again with the strongest soap you can get your hands on. then hit the machined surfaces with WD40.

#3 ·
okay, what should I use to spray the outside of the block with just before painting? I have a solvent sprayer. And also, should all of bearings come pre-fit if ordered for the correct size? Or do they need to be filed or anything? I dont think so but I thought Id check.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.