Hot Rod Forum banner

engine block fillers

3K views 12 replies 7 participants last post by  RPM 
#1 ·
Does anyone have information on engine-block fillers? How and when they should be used, brand, ect. Thanks 65 Impala racer

#9 ·
RippinRon said:
Does grout expand and contract at the same rate cast iron does? I know block filler does.
I had it in a small block 400 with lots of nitrous on it. It seemed to help ring and cylinder wall life. The leak down was much better with it than with out it.

I don't know about it being hot tanked. Never had to take it that far down again.

#10 ·
RPM, did you fill the block completely? did the engine hold up or did you find a weak link somewhere else? How much power were you throwing at it? I know of one local racer here that gave up on factory 400 blocks after fighting with cracked cylinders on three builds but I don't think he was filling the blocks completely-only half fill and the oil temps went up he said. Now he's running an aftermarket block, no fill and no problems, 377 spinning 9500rpm.

#13 ·
I used a tall fill just like the Moroso instructions. Ran the car 2 years at the strip. Had a 250 shot on it. The car ran 6.0 in the 1/8.. How much power did it make don't really know for sure...It was a Chevy Monza that weighed about 2500 lbs, just guessing. Sold the car to buy some machine shop equipment.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.