Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Engine break in
Thread: Engine break in
View Single Post
Old 02-10-2013, 08:32 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Engine break in

Hi Gang.
I did a search for this, but didn't see anything.
Forgive me if I am beating a dead horse.

Here's my situation.
I had a SB 350 motor rebuilt and ready to install in my truck. I turn it about once a month to keep everything free.
I am getting fairly close to being able to start working on plumbing, wiring, interior etc.
I am going to put on ceramic coated headers.
I read where you are NOT supposed to put new ceramic coated headers onto a motor that is being broke in. (this info came from the header maker - They stated doing so would void the warrenty)
They suggested using OLD headers while you brake in the motor, and then swapping them out and put on the new ceramic headers

SO I was wondering your thoughts about this. I had thought about making a engine stand, put it on wheels, hook up a radiator and some old headers, and just let the motor run and do a 'break in' sitting on the engine stand.
I don't know how many hours it'd have to run, etc.

I'd have to build a custom exhaust system, and if I use the old style headers that came on the motor I'd use to break it in would NOT be the same style headers I'd buy. so I'd have to exchange out the whole exhaust system later, etc.

Just didn't seem to make much sense to me, and I was curious of your thoughts or ideas.