Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Engine break in
Thread: Engine break in
View Single Post
Old 02-11-2013, 07:52 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by 75gmck25 View Post
If all you did was pull the distributor, just put it back in as close as you can and restart the engine. Rotate the engine and line up the timing pointer with the 8-10 degree BTDC mark on the damper, using your finger over the #1 cylinder to verify it is at TDC. Then drop the distributor in so that it points at the #1 wire on the cap. Usually the rotor will point about toward the front corner of the driver's side valve cover, so you have enough space to rotate the distributor without the vacuum can advance hitting anything.

Bruce
Thanks dude. This is exactly what my friend said. I'm going to see if I can get it timed. If not he is going to be over here in a few days anyway. He is going to help me wire and plumb the car, and will be here to take measurement to build me a gas tank.

As far as the "break in"... I suppose it could be considered broke in.
I've always though of a 'break in' period like the "old days" when they said you had to be 'easy' on a brand new car while you broke in the motor (a period of a couple thousand miles)
That's what I had in the back of my mind. By if it just needs a few good heat cycles,.. I suppose that is already done.
I'll have to check and see how long and how hard they ran it when they started it.

Thanks