Hot Rod Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Engine break in oil

3K views 11 replies 10 participants last post by  Gideon 
#1 ·
My rebuilt 351W is on the stand and will soon be installed. I understand the need to break in the cam and all. In the past I would just use regular oil and drain after. I have seen some post refer to a special break in oil---does it help and where would you get it?
Thanks for any info
Great Site

#3 ·
Pre-lub before starting.
Any good grade 10-30 NO synthetics or additives that you plan on running with.
Break in the cam then change oil & filter.
After the motors broken in Id reccomend Royal Purple,Red Line, or Mobil 1 synthetic.

#9 ·
If you have a flat tappet cam you should have gotten break-in lube to put on the lobes and lifters. This is absolutely required. You can also get ZDDP additive to put in standard 10w30 oil during the initial cam break-in.

One oil that has the high ZDDP and is fairly easy to find is Mobil 1 15w50. It has 1200 ppm of ZDDP, which should work very well with a flat tappet cam. Other Mobil 1 oils (e.g., 10w30) do not have the high ZDDP, so you need to get that specific weight. I have found it in stock at Advance Auto Parts, but I'm sure others carry it (Walmart does not, for some reason).

Bruce

#12 ·
75gmck25 said:
If you have a flat tappet cam you should have gotten break-in lube to put on the lobes and lifters. This is absolutely required. You can also get ZDDP additive to put in standard 10w30 oil during the initial cam break-in.

One oil that has the high ZDDP and is fairly easy to find is Mobil 1 15w50. It has 1200 ppm of ZDDP, which should work very well with a flat tappet cam. Other Mobil 1 oils (e.g., 10w30) do not have the high ZDDP, so you need to get that specific weight. I have found it in stock at Advance Auto Parts, but I'm sure others carry it (Walmart does not, for some reason).

Bruce
Lube cam with the RPM Performer Cam.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.