Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Engine Breakin Question
View Single Post
Old 03-29-2013, 01:23 AM
TAKE A KID TO A CAR SHOW

Last journal entry: My grand Daughter at a car show
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

In case you installed new springs? (Roller or flat tappet cam valve springs need to be heat set)

Flat tappet cams should be broke in for at least 20 minutes between 2,000 and 2,500 rpm and with no-load, I usually run mine for 45 minutes!

And after that if I installed new springs I run a spring break in procedure called a "Heat set" Upon start-up, limit rpm to 2000 until the temperature has reached operating levels (30 minutes of cam break in if springs and cam are being done at the same time). Shut off the engine after cam break in and allow the springs to cool to room temperature, Then run again about 20 min. and cool again to room temp. Do this a several times!!! This will help eliminate premature failure and prolong valve spring life. Some springs are already heat set at the manufacturer check the tech sheet or call the spring manufacturer to be sure! Like The new Lunati LS Dual Valve Spring Kits the springs are already heat set!

Jester

Last edited by painted jester; 03-29-2013 at 01:41 AM.