Engine build ideas - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-20-2004, 02:30 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

Engine build ideas

Hello,

I am new to posting, but I have been reading here for a while. I live in Sweden and I am about to start a Cobra replica build.

I have come to the engine planing, and I can't really make up my mind. First off, there are some building rules to make this thing pass inspection when finnished. The car can not have more than 15kW of power per 10 kg of weight. This is only checked by engine number, so this means I would need a block from a car with roughly around (or less than 200 hp). This doesn't mean the engine will have 200 hp or less, it just needs the right engine number to pass... (I want more hp )

I would also like fuelinjection since that's all I've really worked with. This means I would need a fuelinjected engine to start with to get through inspections...

Now my thoughts... Start out with a TPI 350 block, add a Holley Stealth Ram with UltraMegaSquirt (should give plenty tunability). AFR 195cc heads would also be a nice touch. A tremec TKO and a Jag rearend will deliver the power to the ground.

Now to the questions. Should I build a 383 out if this thing? A reason for using fuelinjection is for future supercharger ideas. Maybe I should just save my $ from the 383 if I would like a supercharger? Money is of course a factor, but I would like to reach around 450 hp with a very streetable machine (decent idle, good cruising drivability, but with the possibility to rip your shirt off on weekends). I haven't decided how much the engine build budget would be yet.

Would 8.5:1 compression be ok do drive around with for a while before the supercharger is added? Build a 383 for supercharging application, but add the charger a year later? Or, build a good 350 and not wait a whole year for enough $ for the supercharger?

Carl W.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-20-2004, 07:57 AM
aka Duke of URL

Last wiki edit: Finding vacuum leaks Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

Unhappy

Quote:
I am about to start a Cobra replica build.

Quote:
Now my thoughts... Start out with a TPI 350 block
Old 04-20-2004, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by KULTULZ

The only reason I would chose the TPI block would be to get around the regulations that you can not change a carbed motor to a fuelinjected motor. I am not planing to use the stock TPI intake or ECU. All I want from it is good strength and the engine number

As for TPI block strengt I don't know anything....

Carl
Old 12-14-2005, 04:47 PM

chevy motor in ford car

why a chevy? why not get a multiport 5.0 ford... or a 5.8? just about any 5.0 or 5.8 ford will be under 200 horse stock, and theyre cheap- i could buy a car with a 5.0 mpfi for under 500 dollars, aod and ford 8.8, or could go older and get a carbureted anything from the mid to late seventies that would be under 200 horse stock... and with carburetion you have a whole lot more options for performance- and with no knock sensors to worry about... bigger cam and such
Old 12-14-2005, 05:56 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

You wont find a stock TPI 350 that came with less than 200hp. The least was about 220-230.

If your not using the TPI setup, youd be better off looking for another block to start with.
Old 12-14-2005, 06:22 PM

Last wiki edit: Mopar tapered axle rear brake conversion
Last journal entry: What I'm doing now...
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 49

Isn't it kind of like sacrilegious to put a Chevy engine in a Cobra, even if it is a replica? Forget the fuel injection and go with a 289-302 Ford small block.
Old 12-14-2005, 07:20 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

CHEVY CHEVY CHEVY CHEVY CHEVY CHEVY CHEVY CHEVY.

EVERYTHING IS CHEVY. SMALL BLOCK CHEVY ONLY!!! ON SALE NOW AT CHEVY SUPER SHOPS.

CHEVY POWERED STREET RODS CHEVY POWERED HEMI CARS CHEVY POWERED FORDS.

CHINESE CHEVY CHEVY CHEVY CHEVY. IF IT WON'T GO, CHEVY IT. SUPER CHEVY. CHEVY CHEVY CHEVY CHEVY CHEVY CHEVY CHEVY CHEVY CHEVY.
Old 12-14-2005, 09:36 PM

Last photo:

http://www.collectorcartraderonline....0/80919160.htm

the engine is the Yamaha built 220hp/200ft lbs tq DOHC that came stock in the 1989-1995 Ford Taurus SHO. with a simple 6lbs of boost, you can easily break 300hp at the wheels. the stock intake manifold has a set of secondary runner butterflies that open at 3950RPM, giving what most call a BIG kick in the butt, power-wise. these motors redline at 7300RPM with accessories. without accessories, 9000RPM is doable on a stock bottom end.

forged crank with forged rods. i know an original owner and his SHO has over 300K miles and cylinder cross hatching is still evident. nickel content in block and low tension rings make it a very good combination.

Last edited by DHMag; 12-14-2005 at 09:42 PM.
Old 12-15-2005, 01:44 AM
Save a horse, Ride a Cowboy.

Last photo:

SHO would be great !! weight and handling !!!!

I say 5.0 Ford SFI..T-5 5 speed... start with a lo-po 160 h.p. from a big Crown-Vic if you have to for the regulations, and make it into an HO 225+ h.p. (stock 279 on the dynos) It could easily do 250 h.p. at the tires and look stock, have good smog, and get 30 miles per gallon.... 12 km per litre.

If you want a blower, go centrifugal (Vortec, etc) and get 375 at the tires easily.

That should be OK for 2000 pounds (910 kg).

www.readershotrods.com drag cars' georges drag strip
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	FH000008.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	39.5 KB
ID:	8363   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0023.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	151.8 KB
ID:	8364  

Last edited by xntrik; 12-15-2005 at 01:52 AM.
Old 12-15-2005, 10:45 AM

Last photo:

At 450HP you have described a strong 350 drag strip motor, 3,000rpm+ power band

If you want occasional "tear your shirt off" just add a "on demand sniff" of nitrous (aka:"ricer racer" set up) to a mild build motor for idle/drive ability/mileage/etc, best way to have both

Chevy 350=575lbs.
Ford 5.0 =460 lb

learning carburation is easy enough, I would build it to "look" 289 vintage correct Shelby intake, valve covers, with the 5.0 HO

"got to have more...tear your shirt off"....make it a 5.0 347 cube stroker, trade mileage for power, still looks like a "tiny" 289
Old 12-15-2005, 11:02 AM

Last wiki edit: AMC V-8s Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 14

I think some people aren't catching "Sweden" and "regulations". If this were the US, things would be different! He needs a block that originally had fuel injection to use FI, and the serial number on the block needs to reference to a 200 hp or less original application. That's all the gov't is going to look at. It was already pointed out that a 350 Chevy TPI engine won't work, over 200 hp. I'm NOT a Chevy guru, but what about a TPI 305? A 305 is a smaller bore, but will accept the 383 stroker crank, correct? It wouldn't be a 383, it would only be 330 inches, but that would work within the gov't restrictions. With supercharging 400-450 hp should be attainable, plus the block can be bored for another 5" or so.

I have to admit though -- it's a Ford Cobra!! I don't know if "stroker" cranks are available for the 302 (5.0L), but it would be a nice engine for it. There was a 427 cammer in some of the Cobras, right? A 4.6L (or the larger one) wouldn't be quite the same, but would look nice!
Old 12-15-2005, 11:08 AM
EFI Rules and Carbs Drool

Last wiki edit: The FREE T Bucket plans
Last journal entry: Sold Everything for a new project
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 5

Nicely put NAIRB

How bout this?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0610.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	48.9 KB
ID:	8373  
Old 12-15-2005, 12:09 PM

Last photo:

farna,
you missed zntrik's comment (?): bolt in a "stock" fuel injected 5.0/160HP "taxi cab" motor to get past the inspection, then swap in HO parts (still looks like a taxi cab motor?)

yes 5.0 stroker kits are available, and since you mentioned it, a 5.0/331 stroker would be my choice

stock 89?-93? TBI 5.0's were listed "200"HP (yeah right, so how come they have 300ft/lbs stock)

Last edited by red65mustang; 12-15-2005 at 03:51 PM. Reason: add info
Old 12-16-2005, 10:40 PM
Save a horse, Ride a Cowboy.

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by red65mustang
farna,
you missed zntrik's comment (?): bolt in a "stock" fuel injected 5.0/160HP "taxi cab" motor to get past the inspection, then swap in HO parts (still looks like a taxi cab motor?)

yes 5.0 stroker kits are available, and since you mentioned it, a 5.0/331 stroker would be my choice

stock 89?-93? TBI 5.0's were listed "200"HP (yeah right, so how come they have 300ft/lbs stock)
There were no TBIs in those years... we want an SFI.
Crown Vic/ Marquis/ Town Car 5.0 SFI were rated 160. The Mustang HO was up to 225. Cobra 245.

The blocks and intakes are the same. All that is different is, cam, forged pistons, truck heads, computer, and mass air on the later ones.
Make it a 342+ stroker if you want with AFR heads even a blower...

The HO cam has the W firing order. So what?
Old 12-17-2005, 08:33 AM

Last photo:

correction:89-93 60mm 5.0's were availble as 205HP motors....yes you can make them into a 245HP 93' motor....point was there are more 5.0' blocks to pick from.... close to 200hp stock

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.