Engine builders/ Machinists question - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-02-2007, 07:52 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Engine builders/ Machinists question

Just had my 406 block done .030 over decked and my rods (pressed onto the wrist pins and pistons).

And I am starting assembly.

My question is That the machinist put the rods on the wrist pins off center, meaning that if you push the rod to one side fully the wrist pin is just about to the piston skirt(maybe .010 in ) and if you push the rod the other way the wrist pin just goes slightly past the lock ring groove.

My question is will this affect the balance or is this something thats done for a reason ,as all the pistons were done this way.
By the way they are speed pro hyper flat tops 4 valve reliefs and 5.7" scat I beams.

I will call him but hes not back in untill next Thursday,
Thanks for any help ,

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-02-2007, 08:04 AM
World Class ASE tech

Last photo:

It won't hurt a thing. His fixture is off center a little bit. But it will work just fine.
Old 09-02-2007, 02:30 PM
ASE Certified Master Machinist

Last wiki edit: How to rebuild an engine
Last journal entry: More Pics
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPM
It won't hurt a thing. His fixture is off center a little bit. But it will work just fine.
Agreed. Nothing to worry about.

Now get 'er together and light it up!
Old 09-02-2007, 02:52 PM
Troll Hunter

Last photo:

While I agree that it is unlikely to create an issue, it does show sloppy workmanship by the machinist. I know that I always make sure the pins are centered and I know many machinists that do also. I would be looking for another machinist for my next job. If he cares so little about something like that I would guess he has little concerns about anything.
Old 09-02-2007, 04:00 PM

Last photo:

Thanks guys I feel better now
Old 09-02-2007, 07:30 PM
CNC Blocks Northeast

Last photo:

We build a lot of performance engines and don't se many press fit pins but the ones we do they are centered and on every set of pistons tha goes through our shop we ALWAYS measure the wrist pins and the use a bore gauge the check the clearance and from what we have seen over the years we have had to hone the pin bores in the pistons for the proper clearance.

Over the years we seen problems with pin gauling do to tight wrist pins and most wrist pins are not .927 but .9275 or even bigger as most shops just push them in and call it good because they don't have the proper measuring equipment to check the clearances.
Old 09-02-2007, 08:05 PM

Last photo:

Well the pins come in the pistons when new , each one slid in and out of the piston like butter, my concern was when he heated and installed the rods onto the wrist pins , the pins were not centered to the rod, and I was worried about balance issues.
Thanks
Old 09-02-2007, 09:41 PM

When I install that type piston I put a clip in the groove on one side of the piston and put the pin in after heating rod up in the rod furnace, centering the pin on the rod, then I remove the clip.
Old 09-02-2007, 10:28 PM

Last photo:

Would they still be able to be centered now, or is there no going back since they cant be heated now with the pistons on them??
Old 09-02-2007, 10:43 PM

Last photo:

pins not centered

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66sedanman
Would they still be able to be centered now, or is there no going back since they cant be heated now with the pistons on them??
hi, we always center the pins, we also have to hone the pistons for proper clearance. you could press the pins to center them, but i would not recomend doing this as you could crack the piston. i don't think you will have any problems using them this way. as suggested in another post i would look for another machine shop. i would certainly check all the work that was performed by this machinist on your engine. sam-missle
Old 09-03-2007, 06:44 AM
CNC Blocks Northeast

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66sedanman
Well the pins come in the pistons when new , each one slid in and out of the piston like butter, my concern was when he heated and installed the rods onto the wrist pins , the pins were not centered to the rod, and I was worried about balance issues.
Thanks
Wrist pins will slide through at .0002 clearance and in most cases we find wrist pin clearance is only around .0005 which I feel is not enough form what I have seen and maybe on a stock engine this will work but not on a performace engines as we shoot for .0009 to .0012 and we see the problems that other shops have had by not clearancing the pin bores.

As I have posted before if the pins were .927 like they are suppose to be there would be any issues.

Its like guys buy new floated rods and think there ready to install never seen a set yet.

We use the Sunnen rod heater to install wrist pins and we also have a fixture for pushing out wrist pins with out damaging the pistons as the pressure is put on the rod instead of the piston so if your dealling with a good shop thay could center tnem with out damaging the pistons.

To do this type of work there are a lot of shops out there that don't have the correct equipmnet to do it right but get by with what they got.
================================================== =======
Without factual data, you're just another guy with an opinion"

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.