engine building - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-07-2008, 10:41 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

engine building

OK i'm gonna post this in hoping that i will get the answer i need and not a bunch of grumpy people taking out some frustration i know very little about a motor i can read the book and fix and or rebuild but have never built from scratch to the specs that i would like. So here it goes i have an 85 Toyota w/ a sbc 350/th350/np205 3/4 ton axles w/ 4.11's and 38.5/16.5/16.5 i would like to make this thing quick. I can and would like to get a stall between 2 and 3k. O ya and it also has 3" stainless exhaust into some flowmasters. I have 2 blocks to chose from one is a 2 bolt main bored 40 over and the other is a stock 4 bolt main 350. I'm not sure if I should go stroker or not it needs lots of torque and 400+ hp or something like that anyway some help would be greatly appreciated. so I guess it's basically heads and cam for the one block and the other would be the whole package. O and i have a edelbrock performer intake and carter(edelbrock) 650cfm vac 2nd carb i would like to either upgrade to four barrel tbi or multi-port(piont) injection system. i guess Ishould tell you what i use the truck for and that would be mud drags/bogs and dirt drags and tuff truck tracks.

sorry about running on and puncuation

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-07-2008, 02:42 PM
Senior Curmudgeon

Last wiki edit: DynoSim combinations Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 326

Thanked 1,013 Times in 849 Posts
"not a bunch of grumpy people taking out some frustration"

Bah, humbug. It won't work. No Way. COUGH, COUGH, WHEEZE, WHEEZE. Bad idea. You're way out in left field. CRUMMY, CRUMMY, CRUMMY. Silly kids!!!! GRUMBLE, GRUMBLE, GRUMBLE. HARUMPH!!!! Spit. Spit again. Wipe off drool. And in final summation, PHOOEY!!!!

Last edited by techinspector1; 11-07-2008 at 03:15 PM.
Old 11-07-2008, 04:26 PM

Last photo:

Hello well if you want that kind of power then it will cost some bucks. If I was you go with the four bolt main it will hold up way better then a 2 bolt. If you want the most torque you can get go 383. Carb go with a 650 to 750 holly hp carb or a quickfuel Q series carb. Get a good set of heads from Dart, Trickflow, Brodix or the best AFR. Don't go over 200cc intake runners as that would be the best stopping point for a good street motor. Your intake is good but only till 5500 rpm. Go with a rpm performer airgap and you won't go wrong. Camshaft wise go roller if you can and go with something such as a comp xtreme engery cam around 230ish intake and 240ish exhaust @ 50 duration. Get a good bottom end with around 9.8 to 1 CR to run on pump gas and you will get what your looking for. The gears you have will work really well with a cam in that range and a stall of around 3500rpm will get you all that you need. Trust me I have a setup of what I stated above in a 86 s-10 and it runs and fast and strong and that is only at part throttle. Look around summit or jegs. There was a gentlemen on here that has a good set up for a 355 with GM vortec heads and such and it makes over 400 plus hp. Good luck.
Eric
Old 11-07-2008, 05:07 PM
The Smell of Nitro in the morn

Last wiki edit: How to adjust valves Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 2

Look on this site in the Knowledge Base under Articles,
http://www.hotrodders.com/kb/general-engine
grumpy HA
Old 11-09-2008, 11:02 AM

alright well i guess i'll find another source for info thanks alot for nothing
Old 11-09-2008, 11:06 AM

it blows me away that people actually act like that on forums like this it's an information forum if you come here for info you end up getting yelled at by some know it all who's sick of answering questions sorry but i had to say it every time i post something there has to at least one or two people like that that respond and it really irritates me
Old 11-09-2008, 11:18 AM
How fast is fast enough?

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevyman420
it blows me away that people actually act like that on forums like this it's an information forum if you come here for info you end up getting yelled at by some know it all who's sick of answering questions sorry but i had to say it every time i post something there has to at least one or two people like that that respond and it really irritates me

PLEASE, before you suffocate remove your head from your as5 as quickly as possible. Seriously, like now.

As for your engine, 400 sbc's are a dime a dozen now and if you went through any effort to research tme you'd know that. People just get sick of saying "383 short block, modified vortecs, 268 cam, air gap intake, long tubes, MSD HEI, holley 750" Its a rubber stamp build and if you cared enough to do your own research you'd know that.
Old 11-09-2008, 11:33 AM

Last journal entry: 351W rebuild
Last photo:

Hi,
Don't let what people write bother you so much, If you don't
like what their writing move to the next answer. As for your
build, for what your doing the 2 bolt is adequate plus it's lighter,
if you decide to stroke it, then I would use the 4 bolt, how long is it you hold it at wot? 600ft or something?
Rich
Old 11-09-2008, 11:45 AM

well lets see um some times the track is like 100' (mud and or dirt drags) and the mud bogs are like 150' to 200' and it's always w o t and i really don't think i need to stroke it from some previous research that i have done from what i can make of it most of the power comes from the heads and cam but then you get people on here that open there mouth before getting facts because i have done research doesn't mean i understand it and by the way thanks for listening rich
Old 11-09-2008, 11:50 AM

ok ap72 well then why don't you go buy me one then and next time maybe ask a few more questions i have done all kinds of research doesn't mean i know what to put together
Old 11-09-2008, 01:18 PM
Horsepower Enthusiast

Last journal entry: Finished BMOD001FH
Last photo:

If you plan on running above 6,000 RPM then you will want to run the 350. If you want it to hold together above 6K with a stroker motor you will have to purchase some pretty high quality stuff to be sure.

If you are only using it for mud drags and the occasional mud bog in the swamp then build it with the highest possible compression. Like 12.5:1 or more Get a huge cam, I would go with a solid flat tappet with around 245 duration @.050 and .550 lift. If you have some extra money to spend then get a solid roller and increase it to 260 @.050 and .600 lift plam on running race gas.

Get some heads that flow 200cc's and port match them. Use a single plane intake and a 750-800 cfm carb. Run the truck in low gear and get a transbrake so you can launch it at around 3,000 RPM.

I deal with mud boggers quite a bit and what people tend to forget is that 4.11's are more like 6.33's in low gear.

You can throw a lot of compression and cam at those trucks and wind em up tight. People think it is all about torque for a truck but it is really about wheelspeed for a bogger. This combination will get you well into the 450 HP range and really rip in that light truck.

As far as what people say if you don't have a thick skin than you won't go anywhere in life. So suck it up. It is not like somebody is kicking your dog or pissing in your cheerios...they are just words and this is America. And if you are concentrating on this last paragraph more than the rest of the advice I just gave you then maybe you aren't really looking for help.
Old 11-09-2008, 02:03 PM
How fast is fast enough?

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double_v23
If you plan on running above 6,000 RPM then you will want to run the 350. If you want it to hold together above 6K with a stroker motor you will have to purchase some pretty high quality stuff to be sure.

If you are only using it for mud drags and the occasional mud bog in the swamp then build it with the highest possible compression. Like 12.5:1 or more Get a huge cam, I would go with a solid flat tappet with around 245 duration @.050 and .550 lift. If you have some extra money to spend then get a solid roller and increase it to 260 @.050 and .600 lift plam on running race gas.

Get some heads that flow 200cc's and port match them. Use a single plane intake and a 750-800 cfm carb. Run the truck in low gear and get a transbrake so you can launch it at around 3,000 RPM.

I deal with mud boggers quite a bit and what people tend to forget is that 4.11's are more like 6.33's in low gear.

You can throw a lot of compression and cam at those trucks and wind em up tight. People think it is all about torque for a truck but it is really about wheelspeed for a bogger. This combination will get you well into the 450 HP range and really rip in that light truck.

As far as what people say if you don't have a thick skin than you won't go anywhere in life. So suck it up. It is not like somebody is kicking your dog or pissing in your cheerios...they are just words and this is America. And if you are concentrating on this last paragraph more than the rest of the advice I just gave you then maybe you aren't really looking for help.
200cc's isn't a flow volume, its the runner volume, flow for cylinder heads is stated in CFM usually...

And 245 at .050" with .550 lift is not a huge solid cam. Some would call it borderline streetable but its still fairly tame to racers- albeit a good place to start him looking for cams. With that cam I would suggest him running 10:1 so he can stay on pump gas. The extra 2 points will only increase his power by about 4% and paying strict attention to detail when he builds this can net him a bigger difference than that. It'll keep it cheap on gas which I imagine is a concern of his since he's not a full time racer.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.