Hot Rod Forum banner

Engine Change

1K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  BstMech 
#1 ·
I am seriously considering changing my newly purchased 1986 E-150 van from a 302 V-8 to the 300 six engine. I have a junk 1982 E-150 van with a locked-up 300 six, so I have the motor mounts, transmission (if I need it..a C-6) and driveshaft. The van as it is now has a 302 V-8, automatic 4 speed overdrive transmission, a 2 piece drive shaft with a "midship" bearing, and fuel injection. The 302 has bearing problems. (previous owner drove it low on oil) Since I will have to take the 302 engine out to rebuild it anyway, I was wondering if I could get a good 300 six and just convert it. Will the bell housings be the same and bolt right up to the overdrive trans....or will I have to use my old C-6...also, will the transmission mounts and crossmember work without a lot of cutting and making.
I'm a real believer in the 300 six engine. The old van of mine went 339,000 before dying! It would also stay on 75 mph. all day and get 17-18 mpg. I was NEVER stranded on the road with it all the years I had it. Can someone tell me if a 300 six will bolt in and fit pretty easily...or am I going to run into a real mess? I want a 300 engine WITHOUT fuel injection...I hate the idea of a fuel pump in my gas tank...also the fact that it will cost $500-600 when it goes out instead of the $15-20 for the 300 six. Can anyone help me?--D_PAPABEAR--

#2 · (Edited)
Yes they will interchange with no modifications except the exhaust, obviously. The motor mounts for the 302 mount on two plates that sit behind the crossmember, the 300 mounts sit right on top of the crossmember. I just did a job like this except the other way around and with a 351. You'll have to completely remove the two plates that the 302 mounts bolt to in order to clear the exhaust on the 300. Having the whole donor van that the motor is coming out of will be no problem for having all the parts you'll need. The trannys will sit in exactly the same spot, so linkages and drivelines will all be the same. The wheelbase is the same for all those vans I believe, so I would opt for the one piece driveline from the donor van. Both motors use the same bellhousing, so you can use either tranny you like, but I'm not positive on the flexplate. :)

Oh yeah, to answer your question, piece of cake except for it being a van you're swapping motors in. Just a little tighter squeeze for the boom on the cherrypicker that's all. If you have any more questions I'll be happy to help.:)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.