Engine choices - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-30-2010, 02:43 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Engine choices

Getting started on a hot rod kit car. Don't know what engine to choose. I want FI for sure, modern LS motors are great, I like the power to weight ratio and economy but i don't know anything about rebuilding and they have sensors that can ruin your day. I'm leaning toward an old school iron block with an add on FI system. they come complete but weight and economy will suffer but I know how to rebuild them. This is all leaning GM, of course there is Ford which I don't know anything about.
any suggestions or help is greatly appreciated.
Happy New year everyone.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-30-2010, 02:54 PM
Senior Curmudgeon

Last wiki edit: DynoSim combinations Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 326

Thanked 1,156 Times in 955 Posts
I know little or nothing about the EFI systems and really don't want to take the time to learn. If I were going to use a motor with that system, I would purchase the entire car or truck and use all the wiring, computer and all else that is associated with the drivetrain and swap all of it into my project. For instance, I think the LS1 came out in '98-'99 in the Firebird and maybe others. I don't keep up on that stuff. Anyway, it shouldn't be too tough to find a car that has been hit in the rear or the side and buy the whole thing for reasonable money.
Old 12-30-2010, 03:17 PM
How fast is fast enough?

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

you can pick up a good complete running 5.3L drivetrain for less than a grand- which is a real bargain when you consider what it is capable of. Headers, a little head work, valvetrain and cam swap and you're near 500 flywheel hp and depending on the kit car 25+mpg's...

There is no advantage to running the older gen 1 stuff, sure the newer stuff may not be as familiar, but its not as far out as you would assume.

Additionally those additional sensors are not there for S&G's, there is a reason for everyone of them and if you understand what they monitor and control it can help in power, mileage, and durability. If they didn't GM wouldn't go through the hassle and expense of installing them.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.