engine compartment color - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-11-2010, 05:01 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

engine compartment color

Hi guys, does anybody knows if back in 1964' chevy used to have the engine compartment painted the same exterior color or just flat black, I'm restoring my impala ss back to factory look and I'm havin'trouble finding how they used to come in that specific year

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-11-2010, 05:35 PM

I am not sure.

I would like to see some pictures of it though.

KG
Old 02-11-2010, 08:44 PM

Last photo:

yeah sure, right now I only have like 12 pics or so but as my work progress I'll keep uploading more, so if anybody know the factory color of the engine compartment back in 1964 please let me know thank you in advance
Old 02-12-2010, 09:28 AM

Last photo:

Here is a picture of my '63 409 car, which I did a restoration on. It was an unrestored Arizona car, which I did a "frame off" job on. I even used the right screwtop battery...spring type battery cables...repro tires....and trunk stickers.

The '64 model was identical in most respects, so I don't see any reason the engine compartment would be different. You can check it out by scraping some paint off to see what the bottom layer was, but do it away from the top of the cowl, which might have gotten oversprayed during manufacturing... before the black was applied.

I used GM "Parts Black" to replicate what was already there.

I did change the exterior and interior colors of the car to something more fitting for a "4-speed, dual quad, positraction, 409". :-) It was (aqua/aqua)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	pic 116.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	73.5 KB
ID:	43856  
Old 02-12-2010, 04:32 PM

Last photo:

thank you buddy I'd think my 64 was black engine compartment too just wasn't sure, on the exterior I gonna keep the factory colors, yes (colors) this is a factory two tone car, which is silverblue body and white top
Old 02-12-2010, 05:29 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by i1964ss
thank you buddy I'd think my 64 was black engine compartment too just wasn't sure, on the exterior I gonna keep the factory colors, yes (colors) this is a factory two tone car, which is silverblue body and white top
i1964ss, My '63 was also had the white top. On the advise of O.B.Smith, a collector Chevy dealer who used to be in Hemmings all of the time, "since it was an original hipo 409, people want to buy a car that is any factory combination of red, white or black. He must have been right. The car went to a collector in New York for more than a "top dollar" price.
Old 02-12-2010, 07:04 PM

Last photo:

Well, my car is a 327 car wish was a 409 but still I love it however it's automatic (powerglide) with factory A/C that's why I wanna keep it as much original as I can since is in great condition and have the right paint code you know, matters well keep it that way
Old 02-13-2010, 09:16 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by i1964ss
Well, my car is a 327 car wish was a 409 but still I love it however it's automatic (powerglide) with factory A/C that's why I wanna keep it as much original as I can since is in great condition and have the right paint code you know, matters well keep it that way
I would agree. In the case of my '63, O. B.Smith pointed out that the main attraction was the engine, but the market for cars that did not look sporty was weak.

In the case of your car, it's the overall package.... and that was a nice blue.
Old 02-13-2010, 09:43 AM
More for Less Racer

Underhood color is not flat black, it is eggshell black, I beleive it is 30% gloss. Most restoration parts houses have the formulation, you could also check with a Big Chevy owners forum(Caprice, Impala, Bel Air)
Old 02-13-2010, 10:05 AM
Last photo:

The firewall was semi gloss black as mentioned above as well as the inner fender liners and radiator support. The front fenders as they rolled over into the engine compartment were the color of the body.

Vince
Old 02-13-2010, 10:06 AM

Last photo:

I agree. It is not flat. I worked in a Chevy parts department in the sixties, and handle a lot of new sheetmetal.

In the paint biz it is generally referred to as "GM Parts Black", so that should get you something pretty close.

If the engine compartment is straight enough, it usually does not even require a primer... and is water tight, so you won't need to worry about rust, unless you did not prep the bare metal correctly.
Old 02-13-2010, 10:11 AM

Last journal entry: A Few Years Later...
Last photo:

A small hijack

Not really what you asked but FWIW, this is an unmolested? 65 belair and you can see that it is painted body color on the firewall but all other components - inner fenders, rad support, inside of outer fenders is all black - as previous poster observed - not glossy , not flat but somewhere in between. Weather report - snow , -25 celsius, wind chill -30----a good day for RUM and perhaps some ice fishing! brian.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC04916.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	33.7 KB
ID:	43874  
Old 02-13-2010, 11:41 AM

Last photo:

Almost all sixties GM cars had a black firewall. However, I'm painting my 1966 LeMans firewall the same Montero Red (Factory color) as the body. I've seen some great LeMans, GTO, and Chevy restorations done this way and I like the look better. "correct" is "correct". I know that. But this is the look I want. When it's finished it will go to my son in Ohio and sit in his 40'X50' shop along with his 1968 Mustang and the 1991 RS T-top Camero that his wife bought brand new in her senior year of high school. Her Camero has about 30,000 miles. He wants one more classic. He has four sons and each of them will eventually end up with a classic. Hopefully not until they are old enough to appreciate what they are.
Old 02-14-2010, 05:53 PM

Last photo:

Well, I love custom cars but I also love factory looking classic cars that's why I'm keeping my 64ss if not 100% original at least as much as I can you know, I been searching around and I think this year came out with (fire wall, wheel well, radiator support and under the hood) black. My philosophy is "IF YOU HAVE A VALUABLE CAR KEEP IT ORIGINAL IF IS NOT THAT VALUABLE, CUSTOMIZE THE HELL OUT OF IT" well that's just my opinion
Old 02-14-2010, 06:57 PM

Last photo:

You might contact the Late Great Chevy club, or any national club that includes that make, for info.

There may also be publications for restoring early sixties models.

Another possibility is to google "1964 chevrolet engines", then click on "images" at the top left of the page. That should give you dozens... to hundreds of photos. The majority will be similar to stock paint.

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.