Engine coolant goes missing? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-10-2012, 10:12 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Engine coolant goes missing?

Hey guys,

A few weeks ago, I went to check all the fluids in my car and i noticed the coolant was low. So I bought some coolant (50/50) and poured it in. Then I just checked it today and noticed it was almost half empty again. So filled the reservoir and radiator. Why is this happening? Is this due to a bad head? The car s exhaust does not splurge out white exhaust or anything either. There is absolutely no leak that I can see coming from the car.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-10-2012, 10:42 PM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

Quote:
Originally Posted by 79bird
Hey guys,

A few weeks ago, I went to check all the fluids in my car and i noticed the coolant was low. So I bought some coolant (50/50) and poured it in. Then I just checked it today and noticed it was almost half empty again. So filled the reservoir and radiator. Why is this happening? Is this due to a bad head? The car s exhaust does not splurge out white exhaust or anything either. There is absolutely no leak that I can see coming from the car.
If the head gasket is leaking coolant into a cylinder, that cylinder's plug will look quite different from the others. Pull the plugs and take a look.

If the radiator has a pinhole leak you can lose coolant over time and never see a leak on the ground. Does the oil look normal- not cloudy or frothy?

Did you recently drain and refill the cooling system?
Old 04-10-2012, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobalt327
If the head gasket is leaking coolant into a cylinder, that cylinder's plug will look quite different from the others. Pull the plugs and take a look.

If the radiator has a pinhole leak you can lose coolant over time and never see a leak on the ground. Does the oil look normal- not cloudy or frothy?

Did you recently drain and refill the cooling system?
No I Have not, Ive only added coolant fluid to it
Old 04-10-2012, 11:23 PM
Get in, sit down, hang on

Last journal entry: Cab Removal
Last photo:

I'd suggest throwing a sheet of cardboard under it over night to see if it's an external leak. It will also give an general idea of where the leak is coming from.

It's quite common for coolant to leak from the weep hole on the water pump ... a sign that the impeller shaft seal and/or bearing may be on their way out.

Any antifreeze smell on the interior of the vehicle, or mist on the windshield above the defroster ducts on the dash? Small puddle of antifreeze on the carpet or drips hanging from the ductwork? Those are signs of a deteriorating heater core.

It may even be as simple as a bad radiator cap. Does the car have a recovery tank or coolant reservoir on it?
Edit: re-read and discovered that you do. Check the reservoir itself as well.

Get the cap and cooling system pressure checked. That leak will show up under pressure.

Good luck.
Old 04-10-2012, 11:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66GMC
I'd suggest throwing a sheet of cardboard under it over night to see if it's an external leak. It will also give an general idea of where the leak is coming from.

It's quite common for coolant to leak from the weep hole on the water pump ... a sign that the impeller shaft seal and/or bearing may be on their way out.

Any antifreeze smell on the interior of the vehicle, or mist on the windshield above the defroster ducts on the dash? Small puddle of antifreeze on the carpet or drips hanging from the ductwork? Those are signs of a deteriorating heater core.

It may even be as simple as a bad radiator cap. Does the car have a recovery tank or coolant reservoir on it?
Edit: re-read and discovered that you do. Check the reservoir itself as well.

Get the cap and cooling system pressure checked. That leak will show up under pressure.

Good luck.
Thanks, well what happened was the coolant resevoir was empty from the day i bought the car until today. Could this be the problem?

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.