Engine Coolant Temperature Sensor issue - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Electrical
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-17-2013, 03:13 PM
Heathen

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Engine Coolant Temperature Sensor issue

I have an L67 S/C V6 in my Volvo wagon. Just putting it back together after paint and getting ready for spring. I started the engine yesterday, first time during reassembly, and the cooling fans did not come on. Got a little hotter then I was happy with so I shut it down. Today I checked all the components. Bench tested the fan relay, it lit a test light on the bench. Made sure I had power to the relay with key on. Checked continuity of the ECT fan circuit to the correct pins on the PCM, all good. ECT has a 5V reference with key on. I did not check continuity between ECT and the temp gauge since that gauge works. I also jumped 12V to the fans and they run strong.
Is it possible that the ECT will send a signal to the gauge but not to the PCM calling for fan on?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-18-2013, 10:35 AM
Heathen

Last photo:

Anybody, LA Tech, help please!!
Old 02-18-2013, 03:09 PM
life is a ride

Last journal entry: 2014
Last photo:

shop manual

Get the shop manual at ALLDATAdiy.com Leading Source of Factory Automotive Repair Information and then you can troubleshoot. Saves a lot of guesswork.
Does the engine get hot enough to run the fan in the winter?
Does the fan run with A/C on?
Possibly a different sensor is used for the fan.

vicrod
Old 02-18-2013, 03:45 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Engine basic condition - how to check Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by evolvo View Post
I have an L67 S/C V6 in my Volvo wagon. Just putting it back together after paint and getting ready for spring. I started the engine yesterday, first time during reassembly, and the cooling fans did not come on. Got a little hotter then I was happy with so I shut it down. Today I checked all the components. Bench tested the fan relay, it lit a test light on the bench. Made sure I had power to the relay with key on. Checked continuity of the ECT fan circuit to the correct pins on the PCM, all good. ECT has a 5V reference with key on. I did not check continuity between ECT and the temp gauge since that gauge works. I also jumped 12V to the fans and they run strong.
Is it possible that the ECT will send a signal to the gauge but not to the PCM calling for fan on?
it would be easier to try to help if you gave the year and model of the Volvo. Also the engine size as L67 will not be a listed engine size. Have you checked with a scan tool to see what the ECT (engine coolant temp) is. Some vehicles use a different sensor for the computer and the gauge.

More info = more help

Chet
Old 02-18-2013, 04:25 PM
Heathen

Last photo:

OK guys, the engine is from a '98 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP, that is, an L67 S/C V6! Look at my photos. I have a Helms factory manual that I used to double check all the PCM pin locations and wire routing. I drove the car for 3 years in primer then blew it apart for paint two years ago and I'm just now putting it back together. Cooling fans worked great for those 3 driving years. Like I stated before I have checked continuity on all wires, the relay works on the bench, relay has power with the key on and the ECT sensor has a 5V reference, also with the key on, or Hot In Run as stated in the Helms manual. The temp gauge on the instrument cluster works. Again, is it possible that the ECT sensor can send a signal to the temp gauge on the panel, but not send a signal to the PCM calling for fan on? Besides the possibility of the PCM having failed in this one function (horrible thought!!!) I'm hoping I can replace the ECT sensor in the block and everything will work OK. Any thoughts?
Old 02-18-2013, 04:37 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last journal entry: Motor - vator
Last photo:

The coolant sensor on that should be a 3 pin...one for ground and one for gauge and one for PCM.
If you check live data, if you can...watch the coolant temp. The fans should kick about 230-235- F. They also should kick on with an AC input , but only when the AC pressure transducer signals a high enough head pressure...so watch the coolant temp.
If the temp gets pretty high, and the live data also shows a cooling fan request, check to be sure the signal to energize the relay is coming from the PCM to turn it on.
GM ecm s and PCM s are kinda noted for a malfunction in the driver for the cooling fans.
You can get a new sensor and plug it in, but dont install it. Then watching live data with the engine not running ( makes it easy) heat the sensor with a lighter, watching the temp on the scanner,to see when the PCM kicks the fan relay.Saves time and fuel and the motor doesnt have to run to warm up....boil over ....etc.
evolvo (02-19-2013)
Old 02-18-2013, 06:46 PM
Heathen

Last photo:

LATECH,
Thanx, good info. Yes it is a 3 pin ECT. Can I check live data with a tool like this? MS509 OBD2 OBDII Scanner Code Reader Live Data for GM Ford Toyota 96 Current | eBay. If so I can borrow one from the local parts store, although it would probably be a good tool to own! I'll assume that checking the new ECT with a lighter would be with KEY ON, yes?
I really wish you hadn't told me this, though. "GM ecm s and PCM s are kinda noted for a malfunction in the driver for the cooling fans." I have a lot of money into getting my PCM customized.
Speaking of A/C. A friend and I worked out a schematic to have the PCM run the Vintage Air heat/cool unit. I went to the Pick & Pull and got an A/C pressure sensor with a short section of tubing that has the schrader valve. Adapted this to the trinary port on the VA drier and wired it to the PCM. Looking forward to seeing if this is gonna work.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf volvo AC.pdf (30.2 KB, 33 views)
Old 02-19-2013, 09:51 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

That scanner says it WILL display live data, in the product description.
And yes, you need to have the key on for the test, also you need the key on for the PCM to transmit Live data.

Last edited by LATECH; 02-19-2013 at 10:00 AM.
Old 02-19-2013, 10:02 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

Also...if you determine the PCM wont run the fans, you can use a stand alone fan controller such as a Derale unit.
evolvo (02-19-2013)

Recent Electrical posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.