Hot Rod Forum banner

Engine Crane Vs Alum Heads

2K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  BBCMudbogger 
#1 ·
Hi...
Ill be installing my engine (BBC) coupled to the TH 350 soon. I have an adjustable attachment that bolts on to the heads thru the intake holes. I know this is easily done with iron heads but can I safely lift the engine and tranny with the crane bolted to aluminum heads?

#3 · (Edited)
My opinion is that you'll be OK as long as whatever plate you are attaching to the engine as a lift point can be snugged down in such a way that all of the threads are inside the threaded hole, and that the bolt head is in 100% contact with this plate.

In other words, completely and securely fastened as to not allow ANY movement of the plate or the bolt.

EDIT:
I just re-read, and discovered that you are planning to pull engine and trans together?

If so that's going to be a heavy lift. I pulled a 454 and TH400 out of a 79 C2500 with a chain hoist ... and it was a grunt! I think I'd recommend that you use an adjustable equalizer and a 2-chain / 4-bolt attachment as the tranny will want to tilt that engine almost vertically.

Here's a picture that describes the carnage to the vehicle that ensues.

I was *by myself* (not such a good idea) and had the trans supported by a floor jack in such a way that it followed along as the engine was raised.
That worked *pretty good* until I realized that the engine AND trans were going to have to BOTH make it over the rad support ... on a 3/4 ton truck.

There was just no way. I couldn't simultaneously pull on the chain hoist and lift the tail housing. Out came the cut-off saw, and there went the grille!
Felt like a butcher ... even though the donor vehicle WAS headed for the scrap yard. :embarrass

#4 ·
God Bless cut Off Saws!!

I will be using the "Equalizer". Last week we installed a 350 Olds engine and tranny together with the same crane and "equalizer with no issues. However the Olds has iron heads. With the aluminum heads on my BB, the weight is nearly the same as that 350 Rocket and transmission.
I'll make sure the grade 8 bolts are tight to the manifold and have a sufficient amount of thread in the head.

Thanks

#5 ·
66GMC said:
My opinion is that you'll be OK as long as whatever plate you are attaching to the engine as a lift point can be snugged down in such a way that all of the threads are inside the threaded hole, and that the bolt head is in 100% contact with this plate.

In other words, completely and securely fastened as to not allow ANY movement of the plate or the bolt.

EDIT:
I just re-read, and discovered that you are planning to pull engine and trans together?

If so that's going to be a heavy lift. I pulled a 454 and TH400 out of a 79 C2500 with a chain hoist ... and it was a grunt! I think I'd recommend that you use an adjustable equalizer and a 2-chain / 4-bolt attachment as the tranny will want to tilt that engine almost vertically.

Here's a picture that describes the carnage to the vehicle that ensues.

I was *by myself* (not such a good idea) and had the trans supported by a floor jack in such a way that it followed along as the engine was raised.
That worked *pretty good* until I realized that the engine AND trans were going to have to BOTH make it over the rad support ... on a 3/4 ton truck.

There was just no way. I couldn't simultaneously pull on the chain hoist and lift the tail housing. Out came the cut-off saw, and there went the grille!
Felt like a butcher ... even though the donor vehicle WAS headed for the scrap yard. :embarrass

No wonder I can't find any good radiator supports....LOL....not that its really relevant but I pull the front clip on those trucks...much easier....like 6 bolts

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.