Hot Rod Forum banner

engine cranks but will not run

1K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  bowtieman 
#1 ·
First off--I have a 56 chevy 1/2 ton --motor,trans, tilt wheel ,power seats,wireing harness,rear-end are out of a 1988 IROC Camaro.It is almost street ready just finishing up some body work , ie - front roll pan and shaving the door handles--any way here is my problem--I have been driving it in and out of the garage working on it and as of 2 weeks ago it will turn over but not run so here is the list of things i have done.Service light does not flash any problem codes--I have 41 lbs fuel pressure --I have spark--I have pulse at injecters--I have replaced the coil and the ECM and the rotor and cap and I am at a loss as to where to go from here.Working on electrical is not my idea of a good time as I am color blind so I try to stay away from it . Any help or suggestions I can get will be greatly appreciated. Thanks Bowtieman

#2 ·
a engine needs, spark , fuel, compression to run. you said you had spark, so why are you changing ecm, cap and rotor,and coil. make sure you have spark to the plugs. make sure you have fuel to the cyls. check to see if the plugs are wet, may just be flooded. good luck!

#3 ·
Hi do you have any odd sounds while cranking
like back firing. if not does it try to run
while cranking.if it has fire at the plug
wire. if it has fire & fuel at the same time
did you move the dist.sometimes just need to
double check all connections just to be sure
I also think you should check your timing chain
it may have jumped. it does it when you
turn engine off. quick check will tell...

[ March 18, 2003: Message edited by: montana ]

[ March 18, 2003: Message edited by: montana ]</p>

#4 ·
months back i worked on a customers 65 chevy pickup, when the switch was turned to the start position, it would fire up and as soon as you let off the switch it would go dead, so after some testing, I discovered it was firing when it was in the start position and was not in the run position. I assumed it was the switch, so I just wired it up to a toggle switch, this may not be your problem, but it`s something to check. good luck.

#5 ·
Thank you all for yor input and sorry for taking so long to get back to you ,I have been out of town. Last nite I was finally able to find the problem .As it turned out, the two wire connection from the coil to the distributer was the problem the white wire had only a couple of strands connecting it the rest were broken where the wire went into the plug. I have had 3 Z-28's and I am running a tune port in my 46 1/2 ton and about 4 times out of 5 the culpert is the module and this time it was making me crazy again thanks for the input and HAPPY CRUISING ----Bowtieman

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.