Hot Rod Forum banner

engine crossmember

2K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  1971BB427 
#1 ·
I am back to working on setting up my engine mounts, I have googled a number of images for this and I see some set-ups ( especially stock ) have an engine crossmember mounted directly under the engine and in many cases the mounts are bolted to this.

On my 52 Ford there or never was any such crossmember that I remember seeing.

Is this crossmember going to be necessary? I am concerned that there is a possibility that as the truck is going down the road the weight of the engine will want to cause the frame to twist at this point.

There is a factory very heavy crossmember located about 2 feet ahead of where my engine mounts are and the next one toward the rear is going to be the bolted on tranny crossmember.

Should I be concerned? This is a 1952 Ford F-7

F-8 would have been the largest I.E semi truck and the F-7 is not much smaller, I consider it to be something you would see used on the farm as a heavy duty do anything truck if that helps describe what I am working with.

Thanks again

See less See more
#2 ·
I know they are crude but this is not a show truck, I am building something that gives me an excuse to have a good time when I run to the home depot or such.

These were bolted to the inside of my frame rails with the 302 that I initially ran in the truck. I am going to weld these in today though since I think it will give me more strength and less flex.

I am assuming that the cross member is a necessity but if it is I can always add onto what I have here.

What do you guys think, will these be OK, I know how to weld, I have good penetration, they are solid. I even made some plug welds just for the heck of it.

I am not planning on getting rid of the truck so I am hoping these will be OK long term.

I will also post some pict. of my truck just in case some of you guys like old Ford trucks.

Wont let me upload a pict. of my truck, maybe the forum software dosent like Ford trucks :)

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.