engine developed knocking sound - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-06-2004, 02:16 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

engine developed knocking sound

Hi

I have been to a car meet all weekend and it was great. we where out cruising over a 100 cars, we did alot of burnouts and generally just fooled around and had a good time.

But anyways on the way home i did a huge burnout, and I think that I may have over reved the engine because a little later it stated knocking from about 1500 rpm and up oil press is still fine and at idle it sounds fine. I have torn out the engine and is going to open it up today. I don't think that it is a rod bearing going bad it didn't sound like that, I was think more like a bent valve hitting the piston or something like that.

The knocking sound is sounds like it is coming from number 6 or 8 cylinder. I toke a peek under the valve cover on the passenger side and everything looks fine.

Ohh btw. the engine is a 454 bored 30 over I don't know about the cam other than it is not stock but not too aggressive either.

What do you guys think?

Sune

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-06-2004, 02:27 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

I dont see how the pistion could be hitting the valve. Even partially bent it shouldn't be dipped that low. Is it running adverse (other than the sound)? If you had a valve bent you'd be getting some popping and would definitely feel and hear it at idle. Perhaps you have some timing chain slack? Take a look at the valve train. First determine if its top or bottom end. Just work through it all.

I am sure someone much more knowledgeable will chime in here soon.
Old 09-06-2004, 08:26 AM

Last photo:

that would be my guess as well, maybe a broken or backed off rocker arm? Easier to pop off a valve cover than pull the engine.
Old 09-06-2004, 10:28 AM
Pure American Muscle

Last journal entry: Still Going
Last photo:

Agreed I had that happen to me. I was having trouble with my rocker arms and one got to tight and I went up a hill with 2 people in the back and BAM knocking noise. If I set at idle it sounds ok and ran fine but don't step on it cause man o man sounded like things were falling apart. Take the covers off and look for a pushrod that is just kinda sitting there lol mine blew a hole right through the rocker arm. Good luck!
Old 09-06-2004, 02:23 PM

Last photo:

well i opened it up

All the bearings are trash..!! the rod bearings are really bad, the mains not that bad.... it looks like the idiot that rebuild it before I got it just threw some new bearings after it and didn't bother to clean it up!!!

I just can't figure out why I still had good oil pressure??

or well now I have an excuse to get one of those +0.25 stroker kits... those will fit in a standard four bolt block right?

sune
Old 09-06-2004, 02:28 PM
Pure American Muscle

Last journal entry: Still Going
Last photo:

Yicks!
Sorry to hear about your loss. Tough I would say that it could have been much worse trashing a block or really destroying something. For those kits I would think they should say what they will fit. Good luck!
Old 09-06-2004, 02:40 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally posted by strikingthematch
Yicks!
Sorry to hear about your loss. Tough I would say that it could have been much worse trashing a block or really destroying something. For those kits I would think they should say what they will fit. Good luck!
Yeah I'm glad I caught it in time, none of the mains had spun. only some of the rod bearings.

sune

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.