Engine diag 318 dodge - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-09-2012, 03:03 PM

Last journal entry: B-250
Wiki Edits: 0

Engine diag 318 dodge

Hello --- Newby Me---
I own a dodge B250 with a 318 manufactured in 9/93. sold as a 94 winnebago. It has 222k on it and had a average comp of 155-160. kinda tired. I recently made a long trip pullin a trailer and it ran good. I have suspected some intake manifold leaks for a while but without removing some of the crap on top of the engine its hard to get a good look at it. I have smelled antifreeze burning in very small amounts and as i have replaced all of my hoses recently am pretty sure it is not there. leak was very small and no bad signs in oil or antifreeze. I am now in a place where it is parked for a while and at last start it leaked oil and water enough to produce multiple drips from bottom of engine. Hard to tell if they are mixed or separate leaks. Oil and water still look clean. I need to get in there tommorrow and do a comp test again tommorrow. Curious about intake man gasket. I need to make a decision on whether or not to fix it or start new. I figured you guys would be a very good source of info since i think this engine design goes back to the 60s. Any and all pointers and such will be greatly appreciated. I will post more tommorrow evening. thank you for your help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-09-2012, 05:22 PM

Last photo:

Be aware that these engines along with the 360 tend to crack cylinder heads at high milage. This will result in coolant use. Usually begins with a fouled plug on startup that quickly clears out.

Usually the rear cylinder, drivers side. cracks between the valve seats and then leaks coolant into cylinder under power. I see it all the time.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BOBCRMAN@aol.com For This Useful Post:
93B250318 (12-14-2012), Brian Ehresman (12-09-2012)
Old 12-09-2012, 09:20 PM
TAKE A KID TO A CAR SHOW

Last journal entry: $2500.oo Trans AM is home at last
Last photo:

It could be leaking from the water pump seal or weep hole behind the fan pulley and dripping off the area around the main seal and pan! Its a Very common sign before the water pump fails!

Jester
Old 12-10-2012, 02:42 AM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93B250318 View Post
Hello --- Newby Me---
I own a dodge B250 with a 318 manufactured in 9/93. sold as a 94 winnebago. It has 222k on it and had a average comp of 155-160. kinda tired. I recently made a long trip pullin a trailer and it ran good. I have suspected some intake manifold leaks for a while but without removing some of the crap on top of the engine its hard to get a good look at it. I have smelled antifreeze burning in very small amounts and as i have replaced all of my hoses recently am pretty sure it is not there. leak was very small and no bad signs in oil or antifreeze. I am now in a place where it is parked for a while and at last start it leaked oil and water enough to produce multiple drips from bottom of engine. Hard to tell if they are mixed or separate leaks. Oil and water still look clean. I need to get in there tommorrow and do a comp test again tommorrow. Curious about intake man gasket. I need to make a decision on whether or not to fix it or start new. I figured you guys would be a very good source of info since i think this engine design goes back to the 60s. Any and all pointers and such will be greatly appreciated. I will post more tommorrow evening. thank you for your help.
Leaks/drips under the vehicle are sometimes deceptive. Because of the fan and road wind, the leak- if it starts in the front- will often drip further back than where the leak actually came from. Usually the sides will not change unless the leak is at the top of the engine, like where the oil pressure sender is sometimes located on some engines, so if you see a leak on one or the other sides, trace it from the drip on the ground, forward to see what you can find.

Often a pinhole radiator or hose leak will be so fine of a spray that it's almost invisible while the engine is running. If you can, get under it after the engine is warmed up and shut off to see if there's anything to see.

If you suspect the head may be cracked, pull the plugs and look for one that stands out from the rest. Usually it'll be cleaned of carbon if there's been coolant in the cylinder. It might have an unusual color compared to the others, too.

But all in all, it sounds like the ol' girl is still pretty tight. If the compression readings are about the same across the board and you only have a couple drips on the ground, I would say that's pretty darned good!
The Following User Says Thank You to cobalt327 For This Useful Post:
93B250318 (12-14-2012)
Old 12-10-2012, 09:10 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

The other issue they have is that the coolant passages through the timing cover tend to erode at the mating surfaces. They can either leak out or in towards the timing chain area.
93B250318 (12-14-2012)
Old 12-13-2012, 03:18 PM

Thank you , Pics and numbers

Well , it was warm enough today to do some comfy tinkerin. I have my suspicions but am wonderin what you all think . I have attached pictures. anyone with the time to look at them and give opinion would be greatly appreciated. Driv side- 1-156, 3-179, 5-155, 7-161. Pass side 2-162, 4-160, 6-180, 8-155.
oil and rad leaks separate . etc. oil leakin into 3&6 comp up. substantially more rad fluid after comp test. definitely running down engine.
gotto go . more later.
Thank You
Old 12-14-2012, 08:19 AM

thank you already rulled out
Old 12-14-2012, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93B250318 View Post
thank you already rulled out
nothing from weep hole . thank you.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.