Engine Dies in Drive - Page 4 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-02-2012, 10:35 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

The only reason why I am so infatuated with high c/r is because back in the early 90s Racing Head Service (RHS) located in Memphis, TN were still making complete turn key BBCs motors that were popular in the Baldwin Motion camaros which occurred in the 70s. That's when ('93) I tried their 454 with 12-1 c/r and the sound was so impressive in rhythm with a high lift hydraulic roller Comp cam, super comp headers, flowmaster super 40s and 3 inch pipes.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-02-2012, 10:49 PM

There has been a ton of knowledge since those days on how to make big hp on pump gas better combustion chamber designs better cams(roller) and better head designs. Not to mention gas was much better back then.By the way 11.5 to 1 compression sounds amazing. And you even said it yourself back then .... 454 fast forward to today 540.... My 427 with 10-1 sounded meaner then my 496 with 8-1 so I guess with a procharger it's a sleeper. I am kind of enjoying it sounding a little mello I still can't hear the radio but who needs one. Pulling into cruises peoples eyes pop out when I open the hood and they see the procharger. With a 496 with 11-1 you will have more hp than you need on the street. I can't hook up as it is but thats a story for another thread
Old 03-02-2012, 11:08 PM

Last photo:

This is why I'm bent on high CRs, I may be tone deaf and some hotrodders tell me that high and low compressions does not make any difference in the thumping sounds of the motor but somehow I don't believe it. That's just my preference for now. I may consider based on your input the 11-1 cr w/Lunati Stroker kit on the 496. I'll let you know the outcome on what I've chosen next week. Thanks
Old 03-02-2012, 11:16 PM

My 10-1 sounded amazing I can imagine 11-1 would sound even better. 496 with 11-1 nice heads roller cam man o man I am drooling. That would be one killer machine in a light car be careful. Better bet some drag radials. 750 hp on pump gas hot stuff!
Old 03-05-2012, 11:15 PM

Last photo:

I went ahead and ordered the 496 stroker w/dart pro 1 head, 11-1 forged dome pistons and a Isky roller cam 650 lift. I did some reading on high lift cams. On one of the forums I read that cast core cams is not as strong as the steel billet cams. In addition the life of the cam will even be longer with a pressure oiling from the lifters which is standard for the Isky. This is why I chose this cam. The motor will take 3 months and 8-10k to build from the machine shop so I'm looking at June/July to have it installed and ready to roll. I'll keep everyone posted on when its completed.
Old 03-05-2012, 11:20 PM

4 months, seems like a long time off. Sounds great though you will really enjoy that motor
Old 03-05-2012, 11:33 PM

Last photo:

It is a long time but the machine shop quoted that they were busy so I said I can wait because I have a replacement. It's a '56 beast and it is about to roll by this month. I just took it out of storage and will get the recon sticker this week. All it needs is a paint job and I'm looking at "silver/black" 2-tone (Oakland Raiders).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	540 dart.JPG
Views:	158
Size:	1.32 MB
ID:	63752   Click image for larger version

Name:	front.JPG
Views:	123
Size:	1.33 MB
ID:	63753   Click image for larger version

Name:	side.JPG
Views:	138
Size:	1.31 MB
ID:	63754   Click image for larger version

Name:	back.JPG
Views:	129
Size:	1.30 MB
ID:	63755  
Old 03-06-2012, 09:56 AM

That is gorgeous. I had silver with black stripes on my camaro then when I had it restored I had it painted black tulip.It is a very dark purple. The sight won't let me download any picture something about resolution
Old 03-06-2012, 03:25 PM

Last photo:

@F'BIRD 88,

Thanks for the info and the cam itself probably has nothing to do with whats happened. The speed shop that installed the cam is responding to my complaint letter by asking me to bring the lifters and pushrods to have it examined by the machine shop that did the machine work. Apparently, the speed shop is leaning towards having them liable for the mishap.
Old 03-06-2012, 03:26 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigblockragtop
That is gorgeous. I had silver with black stripes on my camaro then when I had it restored I had it painted black tulip.It is a very dark purple. The sight won't let me download any picture something about resolution
Thanks man, I never heard of black tulip but will research that color.
Old 03-06-2012, 03:55 PM

it came out on mid and early 70's mg's believe it or no. I wanted a solid color no flakes I would have liked a shade darker but we get tons of complements. We were looking for eggplant color. In the bright sun it is a little lighter then we thought. Any bit of shade and it is the perfect color.
Old 03-19-2012, 05:48 AM

Last photo:

Explanation From the Speed Shop that Installed the cam

After giving the speed shop (this shop installed the cam) the cam, lifters, push rods and distributor to analyze due to my complaint letter to them, they gave me their version of the deficiencies found:

1. The cam did not walk in accordance to what the other speed shop found when they pulled my motor. The lifters all left a dark shade on the cam lobe and that shade fitted the lifter rollers only. If the cam walked, the shade would have been wider on the lobe itself. My current speed shop's findings also indicated that there was no thrust plate and they explained that was the cause for it to walk but the cam button was present. So the end result explained by the speed shop that installed this cam is basically still in good condition to use again. Only the spline gears on the cam show a little roughness due to not engaging properly with the distributor gears but overall, the cam and kit is good to go.

2. Their analysis of why the distributor gear were not meshing with the cam's gear is "either the heads were decked out or the block was decked out"/cut/shaved or whatevers.
Old 03-19-2012, 07:58 AM

Last photo:

Yes, that's exactly how it was explained to me and this is why I think I've learned a great lesson as far as modifying an engine I don't know squat about. Would I have been better off disassembling and have the machine shop check the whole motor before selecting the cam? This block's odometer reading was only 23,000 miles and an LS6 was made in the 70s. All the internal components was stock except for a mild cam and high rise manifold. I called Comp Cam and asked the tech about changing the distributor gear and he said I don't need a bronze gear, just use a melonized iron gear which I can buy from AC Delco for 5 bucks, haha. Wonder what he was smoking.

is the distributor drive gear on the camshaft worn or just the distributor gear? The gear on the cam is not worn but it does a show a partial shiney area where the gears were meshing but they told me it still serviceable.

Was the cam timing gear rubbing on the front of the block? I don't know because the speed shop's findings did not indicate that.
Old 03-19-2012, 08:19 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dasyhard
Yes, that's exactly how it was explained to me and this is why I think I've learned a great lesson as far as modifying an engine I don't know squat about. Would I have been better off disassembling and have the machine shop check the whole motor before selecting the cam? This block's odometer reading was only 23,000 miles and an LS6 was made in the 70s. All the internal components was stock except for a mild cam and high rise manifold. I called Comp Cam and asked the tech about changing the distributor gear and he said I don't need a bronze gear, just use a melonized iron gear which I can buy from AC Delco for 5 bucks, haha. Wonder what he was smoking.

is the distributor drive gear on the camshaft worn or just the distributor gear? The gear on the cam is not worn but it does a show a partial shiney area where the gears were meshing but they told me it still serviceable.

Was the cam timing gear rubbing on the front of the block? I don't know because the speed shop's findings did not indicate that.
So now my desire is to change everything. I'm having a machine shop order a new GM BBC bored to a 496 stroker w/dart pro1 heads and 11-1 cr. The cam I'm selecting after several hours of research is an Isky solid lifter roller cam part#396645, 650 lift. The machine shop quoted around 600hp and they thought I was nuts, especially in a 2,800 lb street car. I'm also trashing my old TH400 and getting a new Hughes Street/Strip TH400 with a manual/automatic valve body. I'm also trashing my old 3rd member w/axles and replacing them with a Moser brand. The stall will probably go into the 3,500 to 4,000 size.
http://paceperformance.com/i-5137288...ear-ratio.html

Last edited by dasyhard; 03-19-2012 at 08:38 AM.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.