Hot Rod Forum banner

Which engine dyno software is the best??

29K views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  barnym17 
#1 ·
Hey guys, I know alot of guys run dyno software before there build, i know for a fact techinspector does...which normall turns out pretty freakin accurate. Im beginning to think i need one myself since what started out to be a hobby is now tunning in to taking all my spare time and even building things for friends now. so the question is.. which ones do yall run?? pro's/con's.. things like that, i know of a couple that iv seen people run locally here in town, but like always.. eveyone around here has the best of everything..(even if it hasnt been updated since the 80's...lol). any advice would be greatly appreciated ! thanks.

#6 ·
That's a steal if the software is any decent. I'd ask around about that software specifically.

As far as DD2003 getting it done, the model A got the job done yet here we are almost a hundred years later with factory supercharged 4.6L mustangs. I'm pretty sure that will beat a model A in almost every way (except maybe styling).

#7 ·
Hey AP72 here is a little quiz if you care to guess I would be interested in what you think she'll make
1.355 cid,2 -13.5 to 1 3-.cam is a crane f260 solid .557 I 260 @.050, .572E 268 @.050.4Cylinder heads are fully ported 292 turbo's 2.055 I, 1.60 E (heads done by ed Reed in the early 80's to then current cup specs),800 cfm holley, holley strip dominator intake.I know what DD says not sure how close it is, seems reasonable. This is just for fun to see what different programs come up with.

#8 ·
I can't weigh in on anything except what I have, DynoSim 4.20 with Pro Tools. Works well for me, but then I don't know the difference because this is the first and only one I have used. There is a new version out now, DynoSim 5 w/Pro Tools for the same money ($99.95). If I had it to do over, I'd also get the additional cam files for $49.95. Mine came with 800 files, but the add-on includes 6000 cam files.

http://www.proracingsim.com/dynosimmainpage.htm
http://www.proracingsim.com/purchasejac3.htm

I don't know how you could have more fun for a hundred and fifty bucks....well.....assuming you're not in New Orleans for Mardi Gras. :eek:

#9 ·
barnym17 said:
Hey AP72 here is a little quiz if you care to guess I would be interested in what you think she'll make
1.355 cid,2 -13.5 to 1 3-.cam is a crane f260 solid .557 I 260 @.050, .572E 268 @.050.4Cylinder heads are fully ported 292 turbo's 2.055 I, 1.60 E (heads done by ed Reed in the early 80's to then current cup specs),800 cfm holley, holley strip dominator intake.I know what DD says not sure how close it is, seems reasonable. This is just for fun to see what different programs come up with.

THIS is just a SWAG with no though what so ever, also your missing a few parts, but I'd say 560hp.

I would check the computer, but the one I had for dyno stuff is on the shelf collecting dust- not hooked up.

#11 ·
Dyno Simulation

I have both Desktop Dyno Basic and Dyno sim.
I think Dynosim is better than Dyno basic because it has more variables, cam files are easier to make and it gives you more rmp data at the low end. I did notice that dyno sim give about 30% lower numbers than basic for the models i was running and the guy from proracingsim confirmed this. Dynosim is probably closer to reality.

I think i paid about 45 dollars for basic and 100 or so for dyno sim. If you want to have the best from proracingsim they have a new release that uses the latest wave something or other model for around 350. However, that's too much for me right now. If i hadn't already bought the other two i think the latest is probably the best.

Even though i have dyno sim i'd recommend the latest version at 350 if starting from scratch. however, these thing are so worth it. no matter which one you have, it's going to be way better than buying parts and bolting them on. It's way better than video games.

#12 ·
What other info would you like? DD shows 602 at 7800 with actual flow numbers from the heads.I think your number may be a little closer as ea pro showed 557 at 7500.Will know for sure when it gets on the strip.I do know this little engine could and did run right with a 406 making 634 on the pump when it was last raced on dirt.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.