Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board

Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/)
-   Body - Exterior (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/body-exterior/)
-   -   Engine & Firewall Paint (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/engine-firewall-paint-230813.html)

rusty duck 03-16-2013 06:19 PM

Engine & Firewall Paint

I have heard Hammerite paint and Rustoleum Hammered paint works well on engines and firewalls. Has anyone used this paint in this way? How did it work?Thanks

killeratrod 03-16-2013 06:30 PM

may work on the firewall and some small parts , But will not work on the block or heads or valve covers. I just would not use to stuff. But it is your project. Good luck.

BOBCRMAN@aol.com 03-16-2013 06:45 PM

I doubt if they would hold up under engine heat. But the hammertone looks great on three old Rem Line tool boxes I restored last year.

rusty duck 03-16-2013 09:32 PM

Engine and Firewall Paint

Thanks, guys. The reason I thought it might work was after a guy I met said he used it on boat motors and said " it is tough as nails". I didn't ask him more questions at the time, so he might have been referring to painting the case on an outboard. I was hoping someone on this site had used it on a sbc or ford motor and could report the results. Until I hear otherwise and know for sure it works, I will not try it.
Thanks again

33Willys77 03-16-2013 10:08 PM

I use regular automotive paint on my motors - single stage paints, urethane or enamel.

rusty duck 03-16-2013 10:13 PM

motor and firewall paint

Thanks, Willy

S10xGN 03-17-2013 11:19 AM

I've used Hammerite on frames and frame parts. Wouldn't hesitate to use it on a engine, though I never have (yet). I've used every paint from epoxy to rattle can junk on engines and engine parts without any failure. I guess if your engine overheats, it *might* discolor, but it never has on any of my stuff...

Russ

69 widetrack 03-17-2013 12:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 33Willys77 (Post 1657458)
I use regular automotive paint on my motors - single stage paints, urethane or enamel.

For the last number of years I've been painting any engine I use in a build body color...that has meant base clear....start with a bare metal engine, epoxy primer, base coat and then clear coat...and it holds up well.

Ray

33Willys77 03-17-2013 01:01 PM

I agree again with Ray. I am not sure why some people feel it will not hold up and burn off. Just think about it, how hot does your car surface get when sitting in the hot sun, what temps do you think paint is baked on with? If your engine gets hotter than that, you will have bigger problems to deal with than just the paint.

69 widetrack 03-17-2013 01:08 PM

I think many people may feel that all parts of the engine get extremely hot when in reality the areas that get exceptionally hot are the exhaust manifolds or headers...heads have coolant flowing through them as does the block etc. Now, I wouldn't paint exhaust manifolds or headers with base clear or any other body paint, but, engines...body paint will stand up, will work and will work real well.

Ray

rusty duck 03-17-2013 02:48 PM

engine and firewall paint

Thanks again fellas