Is Engine Flush OK to use? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> General Rodding Tech
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-13-2003, 06:20 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Post Is Engine Flush OK to use?

I have a car with 98k miles on it. I have talked with a couple of guys who have told me to flush the engine with 5 minute Motor Flush. I thought you were suppose to stay away from something like that as it would clog up the passages with gunk. Anyone have an answer on whether I should use it on my car or not?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-13-2003, 07:45 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

A total waste of money, throw a litre of trans fluid in before your next oil change if you like...does the same thing.
Old 05-14-2003, 11:18 AM

just add- i'd run a quart of atf for a few miles prior to changing your oil.

the 5 min flush is garbage... it's basically koresene, so when you shut your engine off after running this stuff, you have NO oil coating on your bearing surfaces.. talk about dry start afterwards. not only that, but ya run the risk of flushing the junk out that is the only thing left holding your bearings in one place!!
Old 05-14-2003, 06:33 PM
adtkart@aol.com

Last photo:

Like usual 4 Jaw is right on the money. Trans fluid will clean it up slowly. The 5 minute flush can cause serious problems on an engine of high mileage. If the engine has build-up, the flush will likely break up large pieces and cause oil starvation somewhere.
Old 09-04-2003, 10:22 PM

Fact or opinion???

Before someone goes into saying engine flushing is a waste, and to use ATF fluid, lets lay down some facts. Not all flushes are the same!!!!!
ATF fluid is complicated...not only does it have to lubricate, but it also has to allow enough friction for clutches in the trans to engage. This is designed for a trans, not an engine....Do not put ATF into your Engine. It is not going to provide the protection and it is not designed for inside the engine, it only thins oil. If you want an old school flush, use deisel fuel(same problem though, not designed for internal engine and has no lubrication or correct lubrication properties.

A good engine flush will be based on a synthetic lubricant such as Dialkyl Zinc which is designed to protect the internal parts during the flush. Some flushes don't have this property and yes, you are asking for trouble. I only know of a few that have this lubricating ability and break down debris as to breaking loose.
Enviro-Tek, Pro Tec, and Amsoil are a few. Pretty sure the Amsoil has this component to it.
I hope this helps....and at least help prevent someone from putting a fluid not designed for the engine into it.
Old 09-05-2003, 11:48 AM
Last photo:

If you do use an engine flush, you will have to change your filter about every five minutes. There is 98K miles of junk built up inside that engine. Do you think one filter is going to contain it? Once that filter clogs it will go into by-pass, then all that garbage will be circulation around in the engine until you replace the filter, or change the oil. Best bet is to leave it alone, do nothing unless you are having an oil flow problem.

Vince
Old 09-05-2003, 04:13 PM

engine flush

You do a flush before the oil change. Then you change the oil and the filter. You drain the flush, old oil, and contaminents out of the pan. The flush doesn't remain in the system. There would be no more of the engine being flushed after that.
Old 09-05-2003, 04:30 PM
E.T. divided by $ spent= Speed

Last photo:

I don't believe in none of it.On a high milage motor change oil more frequently,just keep the oil changed when it starts looking dirty.And don't beat it(the engine!!).
If the motor is realy beat I use non-detergent to keep the gunk in there as its probably the only thing holding the lifters from collapsing.
Last guy I know that used motor oil flush on a beat motor,had a beat motor with a rodknock afterward.
Old 09-05-2003, 08:17 PM
adtkart@aol.com

Last photo:

I have been working on cars for well over 30 years. I have seen numerous engines that have been flushed out using the flushes that are sold. I have made alot of money on engines that have had problems because of large amounts of sludge that was broken loose by these products. I have also never had to go into an engine that has had ATF run in it to clean it out, because of damage caused by that. It does take some time for the engine to clean out that way, but it will help as time goes on, by using it on every oil change. There are always some kinds of products on the market, that make all kinds of claims.

That is strictly my opinion, based on my experience. I only recommend what I have tried and know works. I never believe what I read on product labels and advertisements, without seeing actual results myself.
Old 09-05-2003, 08:27 PM
Last photo:

I had one of our old well regarded chemist on our unit tell me one day that ATF is the most engineered lubricant in the world.

Vince
Old 09-06-2003, 01:45 PM

Last photo:

I see no need for flush. Just use good oil & filters, and change them regularly. 98,000 miles is not that much for a modern engine. My friend has a '85 Toyota Tercel that has had the pi$$ run out of it for almost 200,000 miles. He kept the oil & filter changed every 3000 miles & always used Castrol GTX. The only oil the car uses is what comes out of the front seal, which is the original part. My '88 T-bird also has been beat on all its life but has had excellent maintenance. It burns very little oil at 173,000, although one valve cover does leak a bit, and it runs as well as it ever did. If it's running OK, I'd leave it alone.

Recent General Rodding Tech posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.