Hot Rod Forum banner

engine help please

612 views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  fast68 
#1 ·
I have a 305 in my 85 elky. it is fresh but i have been having probs with it studdering or kind of like it pops when i am cruising at 7o mph on the freeway. but when i give it gas it gets right to it. It is extremely annoying and cant seem to figure it out. any help would be great. :)

#5 · (Edited)
hmm well an aftermarket camshaft like such changes things hmm.

i think i would read all the plugs and see how they all look, make sure they are all light gray or tan, and are dry.

check valve springs and rocker adjustments.

compression test all the cylinders

vacuum guage reading first though, make sure timig is right and so on.

could even be something as simple as a bad ignition wire. also make sure spark is blue or white and not orange.

engine grounds need to be good clean and dry and between engine and body and chassis and battery. no such thing as too many grounds. add another one if you are unsure! without good grounds you can have weak ignition spark! also make sure the distrib body has good ground too!

when its dark out pop the hood with it running and see if you can spot any spark leak jump anywhere

good luck!!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.