Engine ID - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-28-2006, 02:18 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Engine ID

I have a Chevy 350, with 4 bolt mains, the only numbers and letters I can make out are: ce4170604 FSM . Does anyone know anything about this engine, or where I could find any info ? Thanks, Bob

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-28-2006, 02:27 PM
Out of the Loop Moderator

Last wiki edit: Streetbeasts links
Last journal entry: at car show
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 5

Go here...

http://www.nastyz28.com/sbchevy/sblock.html

Where did you find those numbers?

Budget RVs
Old 09-28-2006, 05:53 PM

Last photo:

engine ID

Numbers were on a pad on the right front of engine block. I can't find a match on that website.
Old 09-28-2006, 06:26 PM
Out of the Loop Moderator

Last wiki edit: Streetbeasts links
Last journal entry: at car show
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by crash
Numbers were on a pad on the right front of engine block. I can't find a match on that website.
Yeah...I looked too, that's why I asked.....are you sure those are the letters?

Budget RVs
Old 09-29-2006, 08:18 PM

Last photo:

engine ID

I'm starting to think maybe its altered, it's supposed to be out of a late 70's Camaro, but the guy didn't know if it was the original engine. He's not passing it off as HiPo, just a good strong engine for my Elky. He wants $750, which isn't bad down here if you can even find a 350 for sale anymore.

The numbers and letters seem to be legit to me, so I don't know what to do when I need parts and they want to know what year it is.

The heads have what resembles a flat top pyramid on the front of them, where the fuelies have the camel humps.

Thanks for trying to help, Bob
Old 09-29-2006, 09:17 PM

The numbers you are looking for on the block would be toward the back of the engine, not the front. If you look straight down at the engine, just behind the driver's side valve cover, there should be a flat section with a set of numbers. These are the numbers that are usually listed on Mortec and other sites for small block Chevy's. To check head numbers you will have to pull the valve covers.

Bruce
Old 09-29-2006, 09:52 PM

Last photo:

engine ID

Thanks I'll check there for other numbers.
Old 09-29-2006, 11:28 PM
Home School Valedictorian

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 4

He is looking in the right place for specifics on his engine. The casting code you are referring to on the back of the block is not specific in most cases, it will give you the years that casting was used.
Old 09-29-2006, 11:35 PM
Home School Valedictorian

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by crash
Thanks I'll check there for other numbers.
A CE designation is a crate engine, I would have to search futher to see what the FSM may be.
Old 09-30-2006, 01:31 PM

The casting number will give you the cars and dates that block casting was used. Its not very specific, but is always a good starting point. The engine assembly date is the next place to check, which should narrow things down a little.

Bruce

From www.Mortec.com

Block Casting Numbers
The block casting number on smallblock and big block Chevy V-8 motors is located on a ledge found at the rear of the block, most often on the driver's side. This ledge is below the deck of the block and the ledge forms the mating surface between the block and the transmission bellhousing. Some of the later model blocks have the casting number on the passenger side of this ledge. The number itself can have 6, 7 or 8 numeral digits. They might look like this "361959" or "3970010" or "14015445". The block casting numbers do not have any letters in them. There are sometimes individual letters found on blocks like "GM" or "CFD" for the Central Foundry Division, but they are not part of the block casting number. Also some of the later blocks have the size of the motor shown in liters. You may see a "5.0" (305) or "5.7" (350) cast on the rear ledge of a smallblock or a "7.4" on the side of a big block 454. On the side of some later blocks the last three digits of the block casting number are cast into the block, but these are difficult to see when the engine is in a vehicle.

Engine Assembly Date
The engine assembly date is a "stamped in" code that is stamped into the metal as opposed to a "raised" casting. These date codes are can be found in a number of locations on the block, but most often are found on a ledge that is visible when the motor is assembled. This ledge is found on the passenger side of the block deck at the front. If your alternator is on the passenger side of the motor, the ledge on the block deck is right below it. You may have to move the alternator to be able to read this engine assembly code. Some blocks have the engine assembly code on a flat portion of the block above the timing cover mating surface on the front of the block.

Engine Assembly Date/Suffix
There is another type of stamping found on some blocks. This is the "CE" code. You might see something like this "CE123456" on the front pad of the block deck on the passenger side. The "CE" which alternatively has been known to stand for "Chevrolet Engine" or "Crate Engine" was used on blocks that were warranty replacement motors. The "CE" prefix was also used on "over the counter" blocks and engines. If a customer had problems with his original motor, while it was under warranty, it was replaced with an engine that was stamped "CE" with a number of numeral digits following it which serialized that particular engine. Likewise if a purchaser bought a new motor from the Chevrolet Parts counter, the front pad on the pasenger side of the block may have been stamped with a "CE" code.
Old 10-01-2006, 06:43 PM

Last photo:

Engine ID

So far all I've come up with is that it was a replacement engine, I can't find anything on the "FSM" which according to the guy selling me the motor will give me the year , etc, for buying parts.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.