Hot Rod Forum banner

Engine Identity Crisis

3K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  WDCreech 
#1 ·
I'm starting to restore a 68 gto.This is a learning project for me.I can't seem to identify the engine thats in it.I don't know if its the original 400 6.5 8 cylinder or not.Ive looked on the internet for hours but I'm getting more confused by the engine identification sites.
This is what i found on the head firing order
below that 8780140
another one lenghtwise 1267

on the front passanger side of the block by the rad it has this 144382 or 144332
on the side of the engine just below the valve covers it has this D N 3 6 on both sides.also has a much smaller number /1147\ on one side and -1057\ on the other

ANYTHING you can tell me would be very much appreciated.

Attachments

See less See more
#4 ·
Ron_H said:
I'm starting to restore a 68 gto.This is a learning project for me.I can't seem to identify the engine thats in it.I don't know if its the original 400 6.5 8 cylinder or not.Ive looked on the internet for hours but I'm getting more confused by the engine identification sites.
This is what i found on the head firing order
below that 8780140
another one lenghtwise 1267

on the front passanger side of the block by the rad it has this 144382 or 144332
on the side of the engine just below the valve covers it has this D N 3 6 on both sides.also has a much smaller number /1147\ on one side and -1057\ on the other

ANYTHING you can tell me would be very much appreciated.
Ron, I think that those four digit numbers are casting dates and they probably begin with an "I". It looks like the heads and intake were cast in September of 67 for the 68 model year. The block casting date will be on the pad near the distributer. That with a two letter code on the front passanger side of the block (near the 144332 #) will tell exactly what engine it is.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.