Hot Rod Forum banner

engine ignition gremlins HELP Please !!!!!

2K views 7 replies 3 participants last post by  Marwak 
#1 ·
I have a 1974 Dodge D-300 318c.i and a Edlebrock 4 barrel.
I have had continuous ignition/electrical problems with it.
Engine has been rebuilt and when she starts, it runs well.
New Eldbrock 4 barrel carb (man choke) and all ingition parts within 1 yr old.
PROBLEM - When trying to start it, it may start but only after I let go of the key (starter not activated). It mostly just burps & I end up flooding it !

I've replaced ballast res.

Any help would be AWESOME !!!

#3 ·
The ballast resister is in the run (ignition ON) circuit to the coil.
During the starting mode (cranking) this resister is by-passed by a circuit that is activated by the starter to provide a full 12 volts to the coil.
Some Mopar starter arrangements used a separate contact in the starter solenoid to achieve this by-pass and some used a relay.
Test this circuit by connecting a voltmeter to the + side of the coil. During cranking this wire should read battery voltage. If not the circuit from the starter is not working. Bad relay or bad connection.

vicrod

#4 ·
Thanks for the replies,
Timing should be fine as I was driving the day before with no problems. Went to start last eve and started fairly easy but caught & continued running when key was let go. Ran for 10 mins then just died slowly now won't start. definetly not fuel.

#6 ·
The relay may have internal resistance to ground that could pull down the voltage to the coil.
Disconnect the relay and by-pass the ballast resister with a jumper direct from the battery + to the coil + to start the engine.
After the engine is running disconnect the jumper. If the engine runs OK you will need to replace the relay.

vicrod

#8 ·
Hi again Vicrod,
Now I have no spark at all. I tried all your ideas but still no go.
I sent it to a co-worker who used to be a mechanic & go figure - specializes in old dodges especially trucks. He suggests its problem stems from the distributer. Once he isolates the problem, he's likely going to install an electronic one.
I will keep all posted in what happens

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.