Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Engine Knock at low RPM
View Single Post
Old 08-17-2002, 04:39 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Post Engine Knock at low RPM

just purchased a '69 Riviera with 32K original miles, has a 430 V8, everything about the car looks almost brand new. Drove it about 150 miles back home and noticed at idle,low rpm, the oil light comes on and the engine has a "knock" like a main bearing knocking. It goes away with the slightest of rpm increase and the oil light also goes off. The previous owner, an extremely meticulous person, rebuilt the oil pump(but put it back to factory specs) and runs 50wt oil in the engine. The car runs and drives as good as the day it was brand new. Is it possible that the oil pump could be upgraded to a high volume version to increase the oil pressure at low rpm and maybe make this knock disappear as well as the oil light problem??? It's hard for me to believe that it has main bearing problems when the engine is in as good shape other wise as it appears to be. I followed my dad for the entire 150 mile trip while he drove the car, not a sign of tale-tell smoke other than a little black carbon when he would stand on it to pass someone. No oil smoke...period. Anyone with any experience with one of these early 430-4V Buicks please respond..give me hint what I need to do to cure the problem...PACO