engine is Knocking - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-11-2011, 08:45 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

lifter sound issue

I have a tbi 305 in a 88 Chev camaro Iroc/z at start up for the first time after 12h rest it sounds like a normal! after the vehicle has been driven for a bit sounds like a lifter issue but once it heats up and the fans kick in the sound goes away but will return until the vehicle cools down and rests over night? when this problem is existing it runs as if it is missing ie a egr problem sluggesh but that is new. down and depressed. i have sent the vehicle in to the part store and a local garage both are mechanics one said it is lifters but didnt spend much time the other said it is a puzzle due to the nature of inconsistancy, I have been looking at replacing the engin but it looks better from than any used out there so you go to the reman issue best price is $1400 at Autozone or Petboys. in canada we have to go to the engin builder that is far to much money we are in a ressesion funds are tight for a hobby car

Help

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-12-2011, 08:48 AM

Last photo:

Sounds like a cam lobe worn. I had a 80 chevy truck with a 305 and it did similar. When the oil is cool, its thicker so its not noticeable. Not sure on tbi motors, but on carburated motors it will back fire through the carb at certain rpms under load. Not an expert, just a suggestion. A cam and lifter kit is a lot cheaper than a rebuild.
Old 06-12-2011, 10:46 AM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

Quote:
Originally Posted by HATEMAIL72
I have a tbi 305 in a 88 Chev camaro Iroc/z at start up for the first time after 12h rest it sounds like a normal! after the vehicle has been driven for a bit sounds like a lifter issue but once it heats up and the fans kick in the sound goes away but will return until the vehicle cools down and rests over night? when this problem is existing it runs as if it is missing ie a egr problem sluggesh but that is new. down and depressed. i have sent the vehicle in to the part store and a local garage both are mechanics one said it is lifters but didnt spend much time the other said it is a puzzle due to the nature of inconsistancy, I have been looking at replacing the engin but it looks better from than any used out there so you go to the reman issue best price is $1400 at Autozone or Petboys. in canada we have to go to the engin builder that is far to much money we are in a ressesion funds are tight for a hobby car

Help
A vacuum gauge can show if you have a bad lifter. It won't necessarily tell you if the lifter has collapsed or is worn, but generally speaking a worn lifter/cam lobe is bad all the time, not intermittently.

You might be able to pull the lifter and clean it if it inspects OK, then reinstall and regasket the engine. Or replace the cam and lifters w/a new set.

Replacing just one or two lifters w/new ones onto an old cam can often lead to the cam and lifters wearing very rapidly, so I'd not recommend you do that.

If it were MY car, I'd get the thing running right w/a tune up, then I'd determine exactly where the noise was coming from and work from there. An exhaust leak can even sound like a valve train noise.
Old 06-12-2011, 02:11 PM
Evil Wicked Mean And Nasty

Last wiki edit: Pilot bearing and bushings
Last journal entry: roof repair
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 37

Have you done or had any head work done ? like a re-build with stiffer springs or anything ?

Cole
Old 06-12-2011, 10:31 PM

lifter

none at all factory everything from 1988 engin looks like new no leaks ect
Old 06-13-2011, 01:56 AM
Not Considered a Senior Member

Last photo:

If this is the factory engine it came with a hydraulic roller cam, and it`s very rare for one of the lifters to go bad and dig into the cam itself. Chevy roller tappets with high miles is common to develop a ticking issue. We would wait until the next oil change was due, get the engine up to temp, pour in a whole can of seafoam into the oil, Let it sit and idle for 20 minutes then change the oil, this usually gets rid of the ticking lifter issue.
Old 06-13-2011, 06:08 AM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

Good point re the roller cam- IF the engine is what it's supposed to be.
Old 06-13-2011, 07:31 AM

Last photo:

lifter tap

a friend had the same problem.. located the tap noise and pulled the rockers off... put in a long philllips screw driver and pushed.. all held and one pushed down.. replaced that one and no more problems.. the lifter looked clean so don't know why it was taping.
Old 06-26-2011, 01:56 PM

engine is Knocking

My 305 is making a knocking sound after warm. I have sent the vehicle to a couple of garages and they quickly say it is a lifter issue but the one garage is puzzled {they are close to the house} no problem until warmed up or put in gear and a load {foot on brake a little throttle} then lifter sound becomes present with this being the case or the erratic issue. I question the need to pull the engine as it could be electrical i.e. Knock sensor. I am not a Mechanic just a licence Bodyman / weekend hobby enthusiast. I need your thoughts and guidance. I am impressed by BMmontieSS original Quote. Hoping to get a handle of this issue by utilizing the strength of the members. if the worst case situation is to pull the engine and get a crate 305-350 tbi Vortec Help and opinions appreciated

Matt
Old 06-26-2011, 03:14 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Working with chromed bolts
Last journal entry: New to me T-Bucket
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 9

You have two threads of the same issue, they have been merged here.

Midnight Sun Street Rod Association
Old 06-26-2011, 03:36 PM

Last photo:

Injector? They can get noisy when they go south?
Old 06-26-2011, 06:34 PM

it is a tbi not a tpi would it still cause a injector issue
Old 06-26-2011, 07:00 PM
My 2 cents worth

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by HATEMAIL72

Help
It only happen's after getting it up to temperature! This sounds like a base timing issue! Base timing should be 0 degrees, hot at idle, with everything else shut off. The timing check connector, is a single brown/black wire, black connector located behind the passenger side shock tower.

Are you using the stock system?

This car is an OBD1 computer equiped model, and the EPROM is replaceable. They are known to go bad.
Old 06-26-2011, 09:53 PM

from what I see injectors are okay i even cleaned them. this is driving me nuts. i questioned the smog pump as you can hear the noise in the exhaust. pulled the belt off and noise is still present but at a on again off again rate. then As mentioned the brown and black wire I disconected it. this caused the same reation as the car being run with out the serp belt. Thoughts on the detonation sensor
Old 06-26-2011, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carsavvycook
It only happen's after getting it up to temperature! This sounds like a base timing issue! Base timing should be 0 degrees, hot at idle, with everything else shut off. The timing check connector, is a single brown/black wire, black connector located behind the passenger side shock tower.

Are you using the stock system?

This car is an OBD1 computer equiped model, and the EPROM is replaceable. They are known to go bad.

Stock obd1 computer how will i know if the eprom is bad. i disconected that wire but not much change. the noise went away for a second but came back quickly

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.