Engine Knocking sounds - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-10-2005, 04:00 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Engine Knocking sounds

Hello to everyone, I would be happy if someone could help me with some ideas where my engine knocking sounds maybe coming from, I have just had my Mustang shipped from Colorado to London U.K. picked it up from the port three days ago and it went fine. It has developed a knocking noise, it only does it when warm and it doesn't do it all the time it never does it at idle but when it starts knocking it will keep knocking for a couple of seconds if the revs drop to idle it seems to be at the same speed as the engine and usually starts at about 30mph - 40mph the oil pressure seems to be lower (but it is the original gauge ie 40 years old). The engine is a rebuilt 302, comp cams dur at .050 int218exh224, edlebrock 4 barrel carb(electric choke), headers. Just before i shipped the car i had all the exhaust valves replaced as they were burnt out (not sure why)and it was smoking a bit. The car now runs on 95oct and I am sure it is running a bit rich. I'm thinking of changing the oil and filter as I am not sure what oil the engine shop put in after the valve job. if anyone has any ideas I would welcome them, the funny thing is it doesn't knock all the time.
Cheers
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-11-2005, 02:27 AM
Come Home Safe Soldier

Last journal entry: Headers
Last photo:

It is homesick.I am going through the same ordeal as you with my SBC.I have checked several things and have had some good suggestions on other things also to check.Here is a link,get to work.Read These
Old 06-11-2005, 03:48 AM

I read your thread earlier RCastle there are some very good suggestions, I want to try the easier things first as parts will be a nightmare over here. The car will eventually live in my home country of New Zealand, but the idea is to drive around Europe before sending it home. Parts are alot easier to source in N.Z., over here (London) everyone has 1.6 litre cars and very few V8's. I am hoping the oil is the problem as the engine has less than 1000 miles on it since rebuild and less than 300miles since the valves been replaced and guides my guess is the engine shop that did the work has put the cheapest oil they could find in. So far I am having bad luck with this ford, while it was at the port in long beach someone broke into it and broke the windscreen and speaker grill and stole my brand spanking new $2500 stereo system and they messed up the interior at the same time. My watch also packed up at the same time as picking up the car.
Old 06-11-2005, 07:39 AM
Come Home Safe Soldier

Last journal entry: Headers
Last photo:

I just had my starter go out completely yesterday,just got a new one and put it on a few moments ago. I hope that was my problem,as it was shorting out from the solenoid to the starter body.Damn,that sux with the stereo and stuff. I hate a theif with no end.
Old 06-11-2005, 08:14 AM

The theft wasn't so bad I can get new audio here it's trying to replace the bits they broke and the rips on the brand new interior etc.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.