engine lift - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Garage - Tools
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-20-2004, 08:53 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

engine lift

i was wondering if anyone had any ideas about how to lift an engine, i have no cherry picker, but i do have a tractor, although i do not feel safe working on an engine hanging from a tractor because there is a chance of a hydralic hose breaking. I thought maybe someone had an experience with this before?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-20-2004, 09:55 PM

Last wiki edit: Building a new shop
Last journal entry: Christmas 2008 came early!!!
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 54

No cherry picker.... No problem.... 5 friends and a case of beer. Let me know when, I'll be right over....

How big is the engine? What's it in? I grew up on a farm and pulled the engine out of my '80 Monte with a 3 point engine hoist my dad made. The tractor had the power, but the lift bent a little. Kinda scary.

A buddy always uses the forklift at his job. 60 inch tines reach quite a ways. Once again, kinda scary...

Maybe i'm getting too old to be unsafe. Try renting a cherry picker.
Old 06-20-2004, 10:08 PM

lol great idea

The engine is a chevy 305, i need to lift it into my car. i just might make something on our 3-point to use, thats a great idea. Although i do really like the 5 friends and beer idea, i dont think it would be safe to work on while my 4 intoxicated friends held it up for me
Old 06-20-2004, 10:49 PM

Last photo:

I use a chain hoist like this http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...itemnumber=996 hung from a wooden framework that the car is pushed under.

Framework is somewhat like a swingset, but made of 4x4x8' vertical posts, set on 4x4x8' horizontal pieces (notched for uprights). A crossbeam of 2 2x8x10' #1 yellow pine (clear grade is better if you can get it) running parallel on edge with 1/2" plywood in between goes on top of the uprights, attached by short lengths of 2x4 at the ends. It's triangulated with 2x4's (both sides of the 4x4's) with 4x4 blocking in the long stretches. Top corners & related triangulations are held together with bolts, & everything else is screwed together. All wood is pressure treated so the termites & fungus won't eat it, and bolts & screws are either plated or galvanized.

A friend of mine used to use an old (so old it was made out of iron pipe) swing set & a good-quality come-along, but I don't know just how safe that would be.

Last edited by jimfulco; 06-20-2004 at 10:58 PM.
Old 06-21-2004, 07:00 PM

engine lifts

You can buy a cherrypicker at Advance autoparts that folds up nicely and works very well for about $300 bucks, I have one and have no problem with big blocks.
Old 06-21-2004, 07:26 PM
Out of the Loop Moderator

Last wiki edit: Streetbeasts links
Last journal entry: at car show
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 5

If you can't afford to buy a cherry picker, rent one. You will be glad you did.

Budget RVs
Old 07-09-2004, 08:15 PM

Last photo:

I don't know if there is a farm supply place called Tractor Supply Company up north but I bought my 2 ton foldable engine hoist for $147.00 plus tax from them. Has a 5 ton ram that I wasn't to thrilled with at first but it has worked fine and have done several engines with it and does go up a little faster with less pumps then the usuall 8 ton ram that comes with most. Thought it was a real good deal. Later
Old 07-09-2004, 08:42 PM
NYOFP4RJ3CHRIS

My first engine swap was done using a tree and come along. Come to think of it, I did quite a few that way when I was starting out. It was easier than using the plywood under the cherry picker in the dirt thing. Nothing unsafe about it if you practice safety and common sense. A chain hoist is the best bet if you go the A-frame, tripod, tree, etc. way.
Old 07-10-2004, 10:15 AM

I have pulled many engines from bobcats trees garage rafters. if you use the tractor just put a couple pieces of pipe under the bucket so it can't move. otherwise they tilt forward slowly.
Jesse
Old 07-11-2004, 01:01 AM

Last wiki edit: Window removal and installation Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 11

I've pulled engines with everything mentioned so far over the years. The only one that fell was when a chain slipped off the end off a forklift stub. A Chrysler 360 fell 3 feet to the floor. Didn't hurt the engine at all, but everybody in the building came running to see what the huge crash was that shook the whole shop.
Not so long ago I scored a cheap engine from a farmer and had to pull it literally "in the field". You guessed it, he had a tractor with a leaky 3 point arrangement. It was so bad that it sank about as fast as he pulled it back up. It worked out fine though it was annoying.
When you work with less than trustworthy stuff like this you need to keep in mind constantly that if anything gives, that engine will fall faster than you can get body parts out of the way.
Use pieces of 2x4's or whatever to help give you an extra safety margin when you HAVE to get a hand or arm under it under it. When the engine is "swinging" just flat stay away from it.
I've been the proud owner of a well-used $199 Advance Auto folding hoist for a few years now. Never a problem with it, but I still take great care not to get under the engine when the hoist is the only thing supporting it. If that old Dodge V8 had fallen on my foot that day, I don't believe I would have a foot today.
Old 07-13-2004, 07:40 AM

Last photo:

Engine tilter

use a engine tilter also it will make life alot easier there sold at auto discouint stires all over i think or rent one with a cherry picker good luck think safety ..always
Old 07-13-2004, 04:22 PM

Re: engine lifts

Quote:
Originally posted by 78514Ford
You can buy a cherrypicker at Advance autoparts that folds up nicely and works very well for about $300 bucks, I have one and have no problem with big blocks.
Pep Boys has a nice folding unit for 120.00.
I bought the same one from HF, it works great, and is out of the way when folded.
Old 07-14-2004, 11:17 AM
Murderator

Last journal entry: Brackets, Stories and the future
Last photo:

rental place around the corner from my house rents the whole shabang for $35. It breaks down into 5 pieces so you could fit it in a car if you had to. The place is closed on sundays...rent on a saturday and you get the picker for 2 days for the price of 1.
Old 07-14-2004, 04:16 PM

I cut down a few trees from the woods behind my buddies house. Built two A Frames with a long log attached to the top of both A Frames. I got my idea from looking at a swing set. Then I put a block and tackle on it and lifted a Ford 6 out of a Farelane. Put a HO 289 back into the Farelane using same setup with the hoist. Worked very well.

Dane
Old 07-15-2004, 06:31 PM

Chain hoists are your friends, much better then a cherry picker and most of the time cheaper.

Recent Garage - Tools posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.