engine lifters are making a ticking noise - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-27-2010, 06:23 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

engine lifters are making a ticking noise

I have a 350 8.5 -9 compression engine I purchased 6/09 a comp cam and lifters hydraulic 218 218 .454 .454 lift .50 duration , comp roller rockers 1.5,Edelbrock E street aluminum heads 64cc or 70 cc I adjusted the lifters as comp cam said tdc do exhaust and intake, it sounded ok but still had a ticking sound, it sounds like all lifters are ticking, so I adjusted the lifters by warming up the engine loosen the rocker nut until it started making noise then tighten until it stopped and then gave 1/4 turn more. did all 16 but now when I run the engine it just doesn't sound wright, it has a ticking sound to it don't know why it is like this? I have a video on utube you can hear the engine in the video.
.http://www.youtube.com/?v=pbbRQm-JIPY
thanks for any info you can give me

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-28-2010, 12:09 AM

Ticking Sound

Hello does it make that noise with valve covers off? I've have rockers just barely hit the valve covers after I installed a cam and lifters, bigger springs, etc.

Hope it helps.
Old 03-30-2010, 04:57 PM

Last photo:

The roller rockers are the stock type 1.5 they might be hitting I will have to listen to the valve covers dont want to take them off right now they might start leaking , Called Comp Cams this is what they said, anyone ever hear that Comp cams have a ticking sound to them??

All of our profiles have a loud tick to them, which is one of the things that helps us get the power we get. The profiles are aggressive, so they have a ticking sound and when you put roller rockers on top of them that will intensify the sound. If it is more on one or two lifters, there could be a problem, but if it is uniform on all cylinders, that is just the way itis going to be. The pushrod length normally won't make it tick, but you should check for proper roller contact on the tip of the valve.
Old 12-21-2010, 06:09 PM

Last photo:

HI' I removed the valve covers and re adjusted the lifters warmed up the engine Let off the nut until they got nosy then tighten down until noise stopped then 1/2 turn to all lifters the left side is still ticking, maybe one of the lifters is bad sounds like the one in the back on passenger side they are new lifters maybe not enough ol at start up on the lifter?.
Here is my last video I am going to sell the car if I cant fix the problem

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-7zvtrlmdTE
Old 12-22-2010, 04:20 PM

Last photo:

I may be way off base here but maybe not, when I put my engine together and after the cam break-in I had the same "type of noise" I thought it was a lifter so I went through the whole lifter noise hunt.

For the life of me I couldn't figure it out, with the engine on my test/run stand and standing on the passenger side I leaned over to check the gauges....I felt a little hot "putt-putt" on my knee, so I investigated....my header had the smallest leak I have seen. I went through again and heated/cooled the engine a few times tightening and re-tightening the header....no more "putt-putt" or "lifter tap"

Maybe?
Old 12-22-2010, 04:51 PM
Senior Curmudgeon

Last wiki edit: DynoSim combinations Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 326

Thanked 1,013 Times in 849 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by watchdude1
HI' I removed the valve covers and re adjusted the lifters warmed up the engine Let off the nut until they got nosy then tighten down until noise stopped then 1/2 turn to all lifters the left side is still ticking, maybe one of the lifters is bad sounds like the one in the back on passenger side they are new lifters maybe not enough ol at start up on the lifter?.
Here is my last video I am going to sell the car if I cant fix the problem

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-7zvtrlmdTE
I can almost guarantee that is a header leak. I can hear it going fssst, fssst, fssst in the video.
Old 12-22-2010, 05:36 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by muddi1

I may be way off base here but maybe not, when I put my engine together and after the cam break-in I had the same "type of noise" I thought it was a lifter so I went through the whole lifter noise hunt.

For the life of me I couldn't figure it out, with the engine on my test/run stand and standing on the passenger side I leaned over to check the gauges....I felt a little hot "putt-putt" on my knee, so I investigated....my header had the smallest leak I have seen. I went through again and heated/cooled the engine a few times tightening and re-tightening the header....no more "putt-putt" or "lifter tap"

Maybe?
Thanks I tighten all the header bolts and re checked them there tight< I will check them again, the Edelbrock heads have square outlet ports for the exhaust my hedders are for a round exhaust port could that be the problem even though there are gaskets on them? my old heads were stock round exhaust ports. after buying new cam,heads didn't feel like spending more cash for new hedders

Last edited by watchdude1; 12-22-2010 at 05:44 PM.
Old 12-22-2010, 05:40 PM
Senior Curmudgeon

Last wiki edit: DynoSim combinations Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 326

Thanked 1,013 Times in 849 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by watchdude1
Thanks I tigten all the header bolts and re checked them there tight<
If they are the cheapo thin flanges and are warped, you can tighten 'til the cows come home and you'll still have a leak. Been there, done that.
Old 12-22-2010, 06:17 PM

Last photo:

I've had really good luck with MrGasketCo's compressed aluminum gaskets (look like layered tinfoil) and my headers... both with not leaking, and with the bolts not loosening up.. and on the rare occasion a bolt does loosen up, the gasket doesn't immediately burn up and blow out
Old 12-22-2010, 06:26 PM
More for Less Racer

Sounds like a header leak to me also. Usually once it leaks, no amount of tightening will fix it, it's burnt, time for a new gasket.
Old 12-22-2010, 06:31 PM
Evil Wicked Mean And Nasty

Last wiki edit: Pilot bearing and bushings
Last journal entry: roof repair
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 37

Sounds like a header leak to me also.

Cole
Old 12-22-2010, 07:21 PM

Last photo:

Detecting header leaks

How does one find small header leaks?

Carbon stains, puffing and ???
Old 12-23-2010, 12:38 AM

Last photo:

My headers are of the round type and square ports on the heads. After doing some reading here I made my own "adapter" gasket out of a sheet of 3/16 aluminum. (An old out of commission road sign works well)

I bought a set of stock exhaust manifold gaskets and compared them to the heads and the headers, the gaskets didn't match up to either one. I traced the gasket onto the sheet and cut it out with my make shift band saw (my horizontal with a larger plate bolted to the "stop" plate) I found a hole saw that was the same size as my headers and drilled the centers out. I had to "notch" my header flanges to just miss the new ARP head bolts, that is why the funny "dip" is in the aluminum gasket.

After that I cut both the gasket and the "aluminum adapter" into eight individual gaskets. I also used the ever so popular High Temp Gasket Maker/Sealer between the aluminum gasket and the header (Not sure it was needed?). It took all of two hours to complete the whole job. Even with the slight restriction in the corners they will breath way better that the cast iron stock jobbers.

Even with square exhaust ports and round headers they seal up very nicely!!

Here are some pictures of some I am "doing up" for my next 454 build.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Headers 006.JPG
Views:	67
Size:	490.6 KB
ID:	51039   Click image for larger version

Name:	header gasket 2 002.JPG
Views:	67
Size:	513.3 KB
ID:	51042   Click image for larger version

Name:	header gasket 2 003.JPG
Views:	74
Size:	516.2 KB
ID:	51043  

Last edited by muddi1; 12-23-2010 at 12:47 AM.
Old 12-23-2010, 01:26 AM
305 Turbo-Fire 240hp

Last photo:

Header leak brother. I had the same problem before so I swithched to these original manifold gaskets. Not a leak ever again and so easy to install

http://www.napaonline.com/Search/Det...+50014+2014024
Old 12-23-2010, 02:51 AM

Last photo:

jeeeze, that makes me glad my header tubes were bigger then my exhaust ports!! I just bolted the gasket to the head, marked, and worked the ports open to match the header tubes...

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.