Engine Locked after installing C4 Trans - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-04-2004, 12:01 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Unhappy Engine Locked after installing C4 Trans

I have a 1989 Mustang Coupe that I swapped the 4 Banger for a Carbed 302 and a C4 Automatic Transmission. The rear main seal was leaking so I had the bright idea of replacing it.I replaced the seal and put the flexplate and torque converter on and the engine was fine.I then slid the unforgiving transmission on , bolted it up and put it in the mustang . I tried to start it no go! I tried to turn the crank; that didn't work. I then pulled all the spark plugs and put PB blaster and Marvel mystery Oil to soak.Of course that didnt work.Is there a possible screw up I done when installing the Transmission?It will go through the gears .I'm stumped... I'm not familiar will he C4 can tou guys help me out?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-04-2004, 12:10 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: How to rebuild a Rochester Quadrajet 4MV carbureto...
Last journal entry: How to change auto shift timing on 200R4
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 21

DON'T TURN IT!!!! Sounds like you didn't align the torque converter dogs with the ears on the tranny front pump. There is a notch in the skirt on the converter that MUST intersect the dogs on the pump. If they are not aligned, you crush them together when you bolt down the converter to the flex plate. IF you turn the engine even slightly in this condition, it wipes out the tranny pump and requires tear down and replacement.

Un bolt the converter, unbolt the tranny case and rotate the converter until it falls back into the tranny case and intersects the pump dogs. Then reinstall everything and it should work fine.
Old 08-04-2004, 12:29 PM

Thank you Very Much! It looks like ill be pulling the engine at this Stage.thanks mustang
Old 08-05-2004, 08:00 AM
brains

Last photo:

Even if you didnt align the converter holes it should still turn over, Iv made that mistake in the past.

Im wondering if he has the larger 164tooth flexplate on the motor and the smaller C-4 bell housing.

Ben
Old 08-05-2004, 08:13 AM

it was running and driving when i took it out the other day.there are flat spots on converters transmission side .The Flexplate would only bolt one way I have a general idea of what to do.Are the Flats on the torque Converter suppose to Horizontal or Vertical?The weights on Both suppose to match or be on opposite ends?Im not very comfortable with it so i was going to try to get some help from somebody with the C4 that is familiar with it.
Old 08-05-2004, 08:33 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last journal entry: PICTURE TEST
Last photo:

I am going with willys 36 on this one. I think you have the converter pushing on the pump gears of the transmission. When you remove the trans you better take a look see at the gears in the pump to make sure you didn't crack them. If you did and re-install it that way your just going to have to remove it again!!!!!

keith
Old 08-05-2004, 11:49 AM
brains

Last photo:

Well as I just found out while doing my engine balancing and finding the correct flexplate, a 164tooth flexplate does not fit a C-4 using the smaller bellhousing, its too big. I havent tried it, but I would guess the flex plate would lock up against the inside of the bell housing as the housing is just too small. Sounds to me either the converter is locked up like they suggest or your trying to use a 164tooth flexplate with a small bellhousing

Ben

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.