Engine is missing, help! - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-19-2010, 09:06 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Engine is missing, help!

Hey, my 355 chevy sb has been running odd for the past week or so but with the 268/280 cam in it, I've just thought it's been me. It has been almost sounding like it was missing but I couldn't tell. But today I replace the stock manifolds with some long tubes. Fired right up but the engines rough running was more noticeable and cut off soon after. I don't know what came over me but I touched the headers for some reason and lo and behold only 6 of the header pipes were hot. the back 2 cylinders were cold as they first were when I started up the engine, cold to the touch. So I looked at my old manifolds and they were like I thought, moist on the inside of the chamber. So, Cylinders 7 & 8 (I think that's right) are not firing at all. Can anyone help me with this dilemma???

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-19-2010, 09:32 PM
Not Considered a Senior Member

Last photo:

Find out why your not getting anything out of those 2 cylinders. Yank the plugs and see if they are fouled. If they check out okay the next step is compression test. Check the distributor cap and plug wires and make sure they check out okay. It could be many things causing this, one is burned valves, blown head gaskets (not very likely on both banks) Rocker arms out of adjustment, leaking intake gaskets, broken rings or piston. Just go over all the checks and you`ll find the issue. The last time I delt with something like this where it fouled both the 7 and 8 spark plugs my intake gaskets were leaking on those 2 cylinders causing it to oil foul the spark plugs.
Old 05-20-2010, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleVision
Find out why your not getting anything out of those 2 cylinders. Yank the plugs and see if they are fouled. If they check out okay the next step is compression test. Check the distributor cap and plug wires and make sure they check out okay. It could be many things causing this, one is burned valves, blown head gaskets (not very likely on both banks) Rocker arms out of adjustment, leaking intake gaskets, broken rings or piston. Just go over all the checks and you`ll find the issue. The last time I delt with something like this where it fouled both the 7 and 8 spark plugs my intake gaskets were leaking on those 2 cylinders causing it to oil foul the spark plugs.
I have new intake seals, and new spark plugs. The engine was rebuilt about a year and a half ago so i think the valves would be be fine (but I could be wrong) Pistons came with the kit as well as the rings. I'll check the wires but how would I go about checking the distributor and doing a compression test?
Old 05-20-2010, 09:55 AM
Jeep XJ and a Javelin

Last wiki edit: Compression test
Last journal entry: August 9, part III
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 7

purchase a compression tester. Disconnect ignition (and preferably fuel as well). Hook up compression tester (in a spark plug hole) and hold throttle wide open. Crank engine over. See what the psi reading is. Move to the next cylinder. Repeat. It is important to have the throttle wide open. With the throttle closed the readings will be lower.

Some guys use the 'finger test'. If there's enough compression to push you finger off, it'll be ok. I use this for small mower engines, but guys have done this for a long time to find a good junkyard engine.
Old 05-20-2010, 10:34 AM
Not Considered a Senior Member

Last photo:

It doesn`t matter that the engine is close to new, things go wrong. If it had over 100,000 miles on it I`d tell you to do the same thing. I wish after I did a rebuild that I never had to lay a wrench on it again but I will sooner or later, that`s just how automotive is. The intake gaskets are new, that don`t mean it sealed up. I installed 2 pairs of fel pro gaskets on my Vortec 350 years ago and neither pair sealed up. I took the carb off and oil was everywhere in the plenum. So now days, I don`t look at what`s new and what`s not, I`ve bought new parts that were no good countless times. I bought a MSD HEI module that wasn`t any good, a Accel HEI super coil that put out spark so weak when it got to 4000 RPM it started busting, accel spark plugs fresh out of the box and 2 of them were bad. It`s just been my experience, just because it`s new, don`t rule it out.
Old 05-20-2010, 11:03 AM

Last photo:

The first thing I would do is plull the offending plug....hook it to the wire.....have your buddy crank it over and see what the plug is doing and go form there.
Old 05-20-2010, 11:25 AM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

Make sure the cap is wired 1-8-4-3-6-5-7-2, and that #7 and #8 aren't switched.
Old 05-20-2010, 12:22 PM

kk, i'll try some things out and get to y'all asap

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.