Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Engine Mount Question
View Single Post
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 04-01-2004, 10:15 AM
Frisco's Avatar
Frisco Frisco is offline
Glad To Be Here
Last photo:
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Canton, North Carolina
Age: 75
Posts: 2,245
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 9 Times in 9 Posts
Originally posted by Nightfire
Alright, thanks a lot guys but now I am confused.......

There is a metal motor mount welded to the frame going to the motor where it bolts onto (on each side naturally). What I want to know is if you need a rubber block between mount and engine to resist vibration? Thats what my dad thought.

A simplified answer to your question: Stock engine mounts consist of two metal plates with rubber vulcanized between them. One metal plate bolts to the engine block and the other bolts to the frame mount. Early Fords ('48 and older V-8) used a rubber biscuit between the engine and the frame with a bolt thru the assembly.

Either style is intended to isolate vibration from the engine to the frame and also to enable the engine to twist from the engines torque with the least amount of transfer to the frame.

Your Dad is correct.
Reply With Quote