Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board

Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/)
-   Hotrodding Basics (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/hotrodding-basics/)
-   -   Engine Mount Question (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/engine-mount-question-36982.html)

Nightfire 03-31-2004 02:40 PM

Engine Mount Question

Allright......this question might seem pretty stupid and it is but I just need some info here:

Do you need to put rubber blocks on the engine mounts or do you just bolt the engine straight onto the bare metal? My dad and me were talking about it the other day and we came up with different theories. Basically what I need to know is what is the best way to mount an engine? And also does anyone know the distance between the engine mounts of a chev 350? This is just a topic that's been bugging me because I'm looking at project cars and my dad and me dont know if we're up to an engine swap yet cuz we've never done it.
Thanks

Mike

Ghetto Jet 03-31-2004 02:56 PM

Mike, don't take offense but I find your wording a little confusing. Let me see if I can help you though. I assume your talking about motor mounts. The motor mounts bolt directly to the vehicles crossmember (one on each side naturally and metal to metal) Then there are also two solid metal parts that bolt directly to the block, metal to metal, (one on each side). Oh and if you do an engine swap buy new motor mounts, don't reuse the old ones.

Mike

BOBCRMAN@aol.com 03-31-2004 03:16 PM

Do not use solid mounts on a street car that is going to be used on a constant basis. Metal fatigue from the constant twisting will rear its ugly head. Usually at the worst moment. As for the motor mount dimension, there are several different mount arrangements used thru the years on small Chevies and each series has different widths. The late sixties/early seventies are the narrower style.

Ghetto Jet 03-31-2004 03:29 PM

haha I guess I missed the boat on that one, it didn't even cross my mind he would be considering solid mounts. Good call Bob

Nightfire 04-01-2004 09:44 AM

Alright, thanks a lot guys but now I am confused.......

There is a metal motor mount welded to the frame going to the motor where it bolts onto (on each side naturally). What I want to know is if you need a rubber block between mount and engine to resist vibration? Thats what my dad thought.

Mike

Frisco 04-01-2004 10:15 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Nightfire
Alright, thanks a lot guys but now I am confused.......

There is a metal motor mount welded to the frame going to the motor where it bolts onto (on each side naturally). What I want to know is if you need a rubber block between mount and engine to resist vibration? Thats what my dad thought.

Mike

A simplified answer to your question: Stock engine mounts consist of two metal plates with rubber vulcanized between them. One metal plate bolts to the engine block and the other bolts to the frame mount. Early Fords ('48 and older V-8) used a rubber biscuit between the engine and the frame with a bolt thru the assembly.

Either style is intended to isolate vibration from the engine to the frame and also to enable the engine to twist from the engines torque with the least amount of transfer to the frame.

Your Dad is correct. :D