Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - engine mounting
Thread: engine mounting
View Single Post
Old 10-28-2012, 02:06 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

engine mounting

Hello everyone, I am looking for guidelines on setting up an engine within my chassis.

After searching on the net I cannot find much concerning how to go about getting it straight ( side to side ) between the framerails.

I understand that it makes little difference if the engine is off to one side, it has to be in my case because of the steering box but how do I make sure that it is straight in the hole.

I have read to measure off the centerline of the crank and the centerline of the output shaft should be the same distance when measuring against the pass framerail but thats easier said than done.

I guess in this case it makes little difference but I am dealing with a 68 351 W going into a stock big truck 52 Ford chassis.

Thanks for any insight

BTW I have made my own motormounts and it is simply steel bracing that attaches to the framerails on both sounds using the stock isolator bushings.

I originally placed a F.I. 302 within the truck and it would run down the road but it had one heck of a vibration and I dont know if it was related to the engine not sitting in their correctly and now that I am going with this 351 I want to make sure I get it right.

Initially all I did when setting up the 302 was eye it for straightness and made some crude measurements using some reference holes that were already within the frame ( same both sides ) as my guideline for measuring and engine mount placement.

Getting rid of the automatic and have found the the clutch pedal linkages are not going to work unless I slide the engine backwards about a 1/2 inch so that the steering box is not an issue.

Last edited by Oilyrascal; 10-28-2012 at 02:13 AM.