Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - engine mounting
Thread: engine mounting
View Single Post
Old 10-28-2012, 05:08 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks again for all the advice, if anyone has any advice on how to set-up the driveshafts than that would be a big help, I find very little on-line that pertains to having two shafts.

At this point I am setting the engine in place with a level carb which has given me an approx 3-4 degree downward pitch at my tailshaft.

From the little bit I have been able to find and unless I am mistaken you never want the driveshaft to sit level with the carrier bearing ( which is mounted in between the two shafts and hangs off the frame ) If it is level than the bearings within the u-joint never actually get to work and the joint will somehow wear out quicker.

So ( again unless I am mistaken ) you want the two pitches to cancel out one another which sounds to me as if you would want to make sure that the carrier bearing is a bit higher than the tailshaft end of the U-joint so that there is a 3-4 degree pitch upward in other words.

I am still confused though ( maybe on it all ) on how this is all going to affect the rear end driveshaft or secondary shaft pitch.

This is a multi-ton truck and the rear end in it is enormous and I cant imagine trying to fool with adjusting that pitch with shims ect.

I have call Dana, ( or I guess it may have been Spicer ) they have a tech line and they are pretty knowledgeable but they tell me they cant tell me where to even start. The best they can do is tell me how to fix it once it is set-up.

In other words they are telling me to get everything in place, get my driveshafts cut balanced and hung and then measure the different degrees they require and they will tell me where I need to adjust to get the most balance out of the deal.

Dosent make alot of sense to me but at this point it is the most help I have had offered from anyone.

Trucks gonna go down the road at slow speeds, maybe it will see the highway, maybe 60 or 65 MPH tops though I would imagine but I would like it to run as vibration free as possible.

I know this sort of stuff is prob. out of alot of you guys interest but I may as well throw it out there and see what anyone has to suggest.