engine mounting in frame - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> General Rodding Tech
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-02-2011, 10:13 AM
Believe in yourself !!!!!!

Last journal entry: 41 WILLYS FRAME
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by gufnstuf
you know i think you are right motor level in the frame will provide the correct look. that is what was wrong with the previous mounts the engine was not level in engine compartment.

so with that said it would still be hugely helpful to know the answer to my original question.

some thing i read said that nottom of oil pan and bottom of tranny pan are the same like it would sit flat on the ground like that? if that is true i think i can figure out that measurement.

The only way I would set your car up is, with a mock up motor.... You are going to have one he** of a time trying to do it with measurement's..... Good luck...

I see it's time to go back to just posting pictures again...

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-02-2011, 10:38 AM

Last photo:

ok so i am making some progress on my own here by compiling measure ments from several drawings. i am so far lacking one measurement, trans output shaft cl to mount pad
Old 09-02-2011, 04:27 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEW INTERIORS
The only way I would set your car up is, with a mock up motor.... You are going to have one he** of a time trying to do it with measurement's.....
Pretty much what I said in post #3, but using your engine/trans as the mock up... New Interiors has it right.
Old 09-02-2011, 06:06 PM

Jeez , what is this ? It's my way or the hi-way , you can set your drive train up any way u see fit , dead -level at ride height, 1* 2* 3* will all work perfectly all right, as long as you understand the relationships w/ the rest of the driveline !!

new interiors, lay off the coffee!! my goodness!!

dave
Old 09-02-2011, 06:09 PM
Believe in yourself !!!!!!

Last journal entry: 41 WILLYS FRAME
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2old2fast
Jeez , what is this ? It's my way or the hi-way , you can set your drive train up any way u see fit , dead -level at ride height, 1* 2* 3* will all work perfectly all right, as long as you understand the relationships w/ the rest of the driveline !!

new interiors, lay off the coffee!! my goodness!!

dave

I don't drink coffee... But don't worry.. You won't hear another word out of me...
Old 09-04-2011, 12:19 AM

Last wiki edit: Wiring diagram 1953 Chevrolet
Last journal entry: Spare Tire Dent Removal
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 647

Guff,

The unpleasant thing about the 36 - 38 Dodge/Plymouth in a street rod atmosphere is the high arch frame over the straight axle, as compared to the Ford/Chevy with their straight frame. The engine can not sit properly in this configuration because the exhaust manifolds and steering are in constant conflict. Because you are using a SBC you aren't having a conflict with the bell housing hitting the firewall, as I was using the 360 Small block Chryco. My remedy, cutting the top off the frame rail and adding to the underside of the frame girth gave me the straight frame, so the clearances of manifolds, steering shaft, starter, bellhousing, tranny and drive line just fell into place. I didn't have to make huge modification to the original X frame to accomodate the full Chryco powertrain. Your SBC engine and transmission is far more forgiving and easier to setup in this same space. First of all, the engine and trans pan bodies are both level. If you block your frame in a rigid position (that you desire, level, front rake or??), hang the engine off a cherry picker, and put a floor or tranny jack under the tranny pan, you should be able to manuoever your powertrain into any position that appeals to you.

The Chevy engine with the oil pan rail sitting level is designed to have a forward rake of 3 - 5 degrees at the carb base plate, the reason for this was; under acceleration the front of an automobile raises up and inertia would cause the fuel to run to the back of the fuel bowls and starve the engine for fuel. Upon rapid de-accelleration, the fuel would run towards the front, but fuel is NOT required, but oil or lubrication is, so, consequently you will find baffles in the oil pan to help keep oil in the sump of the pan. Therefore, the answer to your question is this, if you have your engine/tranny sitting in the position as I described above, you do what appeals to you.

From my experience with your setup in your '38 Dodge and my '37 Plymouth, I would be looking at changing the front suspension and establishing a ride height BEFORE mounting this engine/tranny in place. Everything else will fall into place after you get the ride height corrected to your situation. Also note what Dinger said about "pinion angle", you will have to take this into consideration.

No one said that building cars was going to be easy.

On a further note, it is my experience that big and little tires work best on this body, rather than same size wheel/tires. The reason being is the shape of the front fender and wheel opening will cause a rub on full turns and the rear wheel opening lends itself to a large diameter wheel/tire.

Last edited by alittle1; 09-04-2011 at 12:28 AM.
Old 09-04-2011, 01:27 PM

Last photo:

when i put the 351w in the my 73 Chevy pick-up , all i did was set my front mounts to the height i wanted and then used a floor jack at the tail shaft, truck sitting on the tires at regular ride height and proper weight. used the jack to find my pinion angle, measured from the top of the manifold. once i had my desired angle, i measured the distance from the floor to the bottom of the trans mount. then i built my cross member to fit. i was always taught pinion angel was most important unless you where sticking through the hood, then it was personal preference...
Old 09-05-2011, 11:38 AM

Last photo:

can anyone confirm that the center to center on sbc wide mounts is 16.5 inches? so i can at least fab the mounts before i hang the motor in there?
Old 09-08-2011, 12:39 PM

Last wiki edit: Wiring diagram 1953 Chevrolet
Last journal entry: Spare Tire Dent Removal
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 647

guf,

After 3 days and no answer, your just going to have to hang that puppy in there and see how she lines up. Possibily your question was too technical and no one would venture a guess.

Your have the car and the engine/trans, slide it in there Son and tack the mounts where you think they should be. Good luck.
Old 09-08-2011, 03:44 PM

Last photo:

i managed to get an idea of where it should go by a sbc cad drawing and a tape measure. i will shim the tranny mount for the rest. in my calculations the motor mount with 3* of angle is between 7.5 and 8 inches higher than the trans mount and 38.25" inches forward, and at the distance between the trans mount and engine mount a degree of angle equals about a half an inch. i shoulda been an engineer to do all this on paper.

thanks for the replies and hope this helps someone else

Recent General Rodding Tech posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.