engine mounting specs - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-08-2013, 12:05 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

engine mounting specs

okay, so i'm looking for a powertrain for my 51 willys 4x4, i measured the frame, leafsprings, wheelbase, axles and everything else, and i'm sure that the 79 bronco i found will be a great donor for the axles and power for the willys. my father says that i need to get the engine exactly balanced and leveled in the frame or i will be leaking oil every 10 kilometers, so going along with that thought, does anybody know if i can build engine and tranny mounts in a way that i can adjust the height and level of the engine as i go along? is my father just high on his specifications? I live in saskatchewan so i am looking in to the laws of registering my project on the roads. any help is appreciated. Thanks.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-08-2013, 01:21 PM

There are a number of universal transmission supports that also have height adjustments,or just drop in an empty block and transmission shell for mock up and fabrication.
If you have or can get the original registration then the truck should be fairly easy to insure after it goes through a "commercial inspection" a lot of garages can do this.
Everything must work,tires are not allowed that are older than 10 years,and it may need safety upgrades as in safety belts,,,
all lights must work and you must have a functioning horn
Old 06-08-2013, 03:31 PM

Last wiki edit: Wheelbase database Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobra45cola View Post
my father says that i need to get the engine exactly balanced and leveled in the frame or i will be leaking oil every 10 kilometers,
If that were true, every vehicle on the road that ever drove up or down a hill would be covered in oil. Think about it - unless you mount the engine on a 45 deg angle, an hills or rough terrain you drive over (ESPECIALLY in a 4x4) will put the engine on a far greater angle than you can possibly install it at. Do you only plan to drive on a pool table? Yes, you should take car to get the engine leveled in the frame, but this ISN'T such a big deal that you need adjustable mounts.
Old 06-08-2013, 04:18 PM
Out of the Loop Moderator

Last wiki edit: Streetbeasts links
Last journal entry: at car show
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 5

If it were me doing this, since you want to use all the parts from the 79 Bronco including the 4x4 parts.....I would be tempted to use the Bronco frame too. Plop the Willys body on top of the Bronco frame, you may need to lengthen the frame a bit.....but a lot easier than trying to attach all these parts to your Willys frame....in my opinion anyways...

Here is a 77 Ford PU I put on a Chevy Blazer frame.

Old 06-10-2013, 12:22 PM

i think that my old man was talking about the angle of the engine and tranny compared to the driveshafts, so the seals and gaskets don't leak, or something like that. i was looking into just swapping the frame and putting the willys body onto the bronco frame, but the frame from the bronco would need wuite a bit of adjusting and narrowing to get the body to fit, and i'm still a beginner at this, so i'm just trying to do what i can with this truck. then again, if i did successfully swapt the frame, i doubt that i could register it to put it on the roads, i'll have to look into all that, but at this point, i'm open to opinions. Thanks.
Old 06-11-2013, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinniekq2 View Post
If you have or can get the original registration then the truck should be fairly easy to insure after it goes through a "commercial inspection" a lot of garages can do this.
Everything must work,tires are not allowed that are older than 10 years,and it may need safety upgrades as in safety belts,,,
all lights must work and you must have a functioning horn

The truck i'm working on has been sitting for about 30 years, so the registration has likely been eaten up my mice, if there was even one for it. my father is a licenced car dealer and inspector, so he can go over my truck when i'm finished and make sure it's safe, i imagine that i can do my own horn, seatbelts, lights etc...since i have to redo them anyway. i have to get it running and tuned right before i worry about bodywork and lights. I'll likely be making some power upgrades to the engine if i can, and make it all come together. hopefully i can get this truck done before i graduate, but i've had a few setbacks along the way so far, even though i practically just started on the truck.
Old 06-11-2013, 02:40 PM

Last wiki edit: Wheelbase database Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobra45cola View Post
i think that my old man was talking about the angle of the engine and tranny compared to the driveshafts, so the seals and gaskets don't leak, or something like that.
Slightly different issue. First, the thing you're worried about is not the seals on the trans and differential, but the operating angles of the U-joints. This is a concern, but the concern is that the angle of the trans output shaft and the differential pinion shaft must be parallel. This prevents vibration that can be caused by the u-joints. Assuming the total suspension travel doesn't result in insane driveshaft angles, you're not going to hurt any seals, but you do want to maintain the two shafts as parallel.
Old 06-18-2013, 01:13 PM

would you have any idea what angle i should have the driveshaft on, connected to the tranny and rear diff.? If i was to do the suspension lift first, then do the engine and transmisison, what is one way that i could get the angle right without the body weighing the frame down? id you have any clue what i'm talking about here.

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.