Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Engine mysteriously died, need suggestions please
View Single Post
Old 08-27-2007, 03:09 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnym17
Remember -1.Suck,2-Squeeze,3-Pop 4-,Blow.In other words ya got compression so the suck and squeeze part is working. We know number 4 is working if any thing is coming out the tailpipe.So now we need to make the pop,I would get an hei tester or make one by opening the gap WAY up, it is pretty easy for the spark to jump the normal gap in open air.Another clue is the light problem I would almost bet on an ignition module or coil.It does take a certain amount of energy to trigger the light.I once had an msd that would spark great at normal gaps when checked but would not start the car, when tested with a dedicated spark tester it would not jump the gap.
I agree completely. It's "possible" that the one wire that worked it's way off the plug, even though it still fired, was drawing so much current that it fried the coil or other ign component. The part of the jumping tach and timing light also lead me to lean towards a primary side ign problem or coil problem.

Mark