Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Engine not running happy upon first start up
View Single Post
Old 11-11-2012, 09:46 PM
Get in, sit down, hang on

Last journal entry: Cab Removal
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilbeef54 View Post
ok, i used this method when i first set the valves

How to adjust valves on a chevy small block engine

i will try the other method, seems like the other method techinspector1 listed would have them set quite a bit looser which hopefully will help, i just brought the engine back around to line up with the timing mark on 10* before TDC and made sure the rotor is pointing at the #1 cylinder and the #1 plug wire on the cap and the wire order is correct on the cap... That should be a good starting point right?

with having to break in the new cam i dont want to sit at idle too long trying to set timing and adjust valves, is that correct, i pretty much need to fire it and get it up to 2000-2500 rpm right away?
I was going to give my $0.02 worth earlier, but IMO ... leave the timing light in your toolbox until after the break-in.

Just "static-time it" (I'd go at 8) as you have described above. Turn the key on to the "run" position, stick a spark plug in lead #1 and ground it where you can see it. Rotate the distributor until the plug snaps, and tighten the dist clamp to the point where you can still adjust the dizzy with the engine running.

Well OK ... I suppose that you could use your timing light instead of the grounded spark plug.

Anyway, yes, you want to get that engine fired up on the first cranking attempt and get it up into that "splash oiling" RPM range and keep it there. You can always fiddle with the distributor if the engine is obviously laboring or getting too warm.

You'll want to vary that engine RPM occasionally to ensure that oil is getting splashed in all directions.

Good Luck. I can tell you first-hand that wiping out a cam during break-in is no fun at all.