Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Engine not running happy upon first start up
View Single Post
Old 11-12-2012, 07:01 PM
Get in, sit down, hang on

Last journal entry: Cab Removal
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilbeef54 View Post
okay thanks I did use the break in additive. At this point since it already ran shouldn't it already be primed? Also i am not using dual springs
Primed?
Well ... sort of.
Depending on whose oil filter you have screwed on there, it probably doesn't have an anti-drainback valve. The one listed for a 350 does not. You can use a NAPA #1060 / WIX 51060 that does. It was intended for the the 6.2 diesel which required it. Other than the valve, its identical to a #1061/51061.

I know that the valve isn't absoutely nessecary on an SBC because they are mounted vertically, so the filter itself cannot drain back.

Just as an experiment though, Try priming that oil pump with a good drill (i.e gear reduction 3/8" or 1/2" electric corded drill or 3/8" air-powered drill) and see how long it takes for oil to come out of the pushrods.

Perhaps it was paranoia, but I can tell you that I primed my 454 the second time until I had pumped at least a quart of it through. I wanted oil to be dripping into the lifter valley from above.

We used a 1/4" cordless drill on what I call "the round one disaster". It spun until the pumped sucked up oil, and my buddy assured me that it would have oil pressure as soon as it fired.

That valvetrain probably ran bone dry for a considerable time while it filled the filter and worked its way though all of the oil galleys, etc.