Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Engine not running happy upon first start up
View Single Post
Old 11-13-2012, 01:04 PM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilbeef54 View Post
ok, but since i have done the finger over the #1 spark plug hole to make sure it is on the compression stroke, lined up the timing mark at TDC, lifted the distributor and re-inserted it making sure that the rotor is pointing at the #1 cylinder and then installed the cap with the #1 wire on the post that the rotor is pointing toward, that should mean the distributor is in correct not 180* off right. If it was 180* off when the #1 is at TDC on the compression stroke the rotor would be pointing toward #6 not #1 right?

It didnt really go any better today i tried briefly to start it up and get it up to speed but it really ran like crap, would barely get up to 2k and then started the backfiring through the carb crap again so i shut it back down right away. now is where i feel stupid... I went to check the rotor again and when i lifted the cap i found out that one of the contacts had slipped off the wire in the cap end of the plug wire, so then i started taking a real close look at all the plug wires and saw that the wire seperators i used had actually cut the outer sleeve of some of the wires, so i am hoping that is the issue, that some wires were loose and had some cuts in them so they were arcing
By what you've described I do not believe you are 180 out. Cut insulators, etc. as you describe sure could do it.

Important! Be sure that #5 and #7 wires are correct at the cap and down at the head. The two are next to each other on the distributor cap and at the plugs so swapping them is easy to do- I have done it myself. The engine WILL run this way- but it'll be running like crap.