Engine not running happy upon first start up - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-12-2012, 06:42 PM
Proud LOSER

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjet View Post
When you installed the cam, you lined up the 2 small dots on the timing gears - which is correct per the instructions.

If you installed the distributor after that, it will be off 180 deg.
Yah, that's kinda where I was going to, having done the same thing myself....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-12-2012, 06:44 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bygddy View Post
Yah, that's kinda where I was going to, having done the same thing myself....
Me too...
Old 11-12-2012, 07:01 PM
Get in, sit down, hang on

Last journal entry: Cab Removal
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilbeef54 View Post
okay thanks I did use the break in additive. At this point since it already ran shouldn't it already be primed? Also i am not using dual springs
Primed?
Well ... sort of.
Depending on whose oil filter you have screwed on there, it probably doesn't have an anti-drainback valve. The one listed for a 350 does not. You can use a NAPA #1060 / WIX 51060 that does. It was intended for the the 6.2 diesel which required it. Other than the valve, its identical to a #1061/51061.

I know that the valve isn't absoutely nessecary on an SBC because they are mounted vertically, so the filter itself cannot drain back.

Just as an experiment though, Try priming that oil pump with a good drill (i.e gear reduction 3/8" or 1/2" electric corded drill or 3/8" air-powered drill) and see how long it takes for oil to come out of the pushrods.

Perhaps it was paranoia, but I can tell you that I primed my 454 the second time until I had pumped at least a quart of it through. I wanted oil to be dripping into the lifter valley from above.

We used a 1/4" cordless drill on what I call "the round one disaster". It spun until the pumped sucked up oil, and my buddy assured me that it would have oil pressure as soon as it fired.

That valvetrain probably ran bone dry for a considerable time while it filled the filter and worked its way though all of the oil galleys, etc.
Old 11-12-2012, 08:56 PM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

Quote:
When you installed the cam, you lined up the 2 small dots on the timing gears - which is correct per the instructions.

If you installed the distributor after that, it will be off 180 deg.
Provided the rotor was aimed at terminal #1.
Old 11-12-2012, 09:08 PM
Proud LOSER

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobalt327 View Post
Provided the rotor was aimed at terminal #1.
Yes....but how often does it get dropped at 6....it always gets dropped at 1....my cash is on 180 out...
Old 11-12-2012, 10:05 PM
WFO

Last photo:

It won't run 180 out.
Old 11-12-2012, 11:00 PM
Almost Done... hahaha

Last photo:

ok, but since i have done the finger over the #1 spark plug hole to make sure it is on the compression stroke, lined up the timing mark at TDC, lifted the distributor and re-inserted it making sure that the rotor is pointing at the #1 cylinder and then installed the cap with the #1 wire on the post that the rotor is pointing toward, that should mean the distributor is in correct not 180* off right. If it was 180* off when the #1 is at TDC on the compression stroke the rotor would be pointing toward #6 not #1 right?

It didnt really go any better today i tried briefly to start it up and get it up to speed but it really ran like crap, would barely get up to 2k and then started the backfiring through the carb crap again so i shut it back down right away. now is where i feel stupid... I went to check the rotor again and when i lifted the cap i found out that one of the contacts had slipped off the wire in the cap end of the plug wire, so then i started taking a real close look at all the plug wires and saw that the wire seperators i used had actually cut the outer sleeve of some of the wires, so i am hoping that is the issue, that some wires were loose and had some cuts in them so they were arcing
Old 11-13-2012, 12:38 AM

Last photo:

With your #1 cyl at TDC, & the distributor rotor is pointing correctly at the lug in the cap for the #1 spark plug, make sure both the intake & exh rocker arms are level.

If one rocker is lifting, you are 180 degress off on your distributor installation

Also, make sure the wires on the cap run clockwise looking down 1-8-4-3-6-5-7-2
Old 11-13-2012, 12:04 PM
WFO

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilbeef54 View Post
ok, but since i have done the finger over the #1 spark plug hole to make sure it is on the compression stroke, lined up the timing mark at TDC, lifted the distributor and re-inserted it making sure that the rotor is pointing at the #1 cylinder and then installed the cap with the #1 wire on the post that the rotor is pointing toward, that should mean the distributor is in correct not 180* off right. If it was 180* off when the #1 is at TDC on the compression stroke the rotor would be pointing toward #6 not #1 right?

It didnt really go any better today i tried briefly to start it up and get it up to speed but it really ran like crap, would barely get up to 2k and then started the backfiring through the carb crap again so i shut it back down right away. now is where i feel stupid... I went to check the rotor again and when i lifted the cap i found out that one of the contacts had slipped off the wire in the cap end of the plug wire, so then i started taking a real close look at all the plug wires and saw that the wire seperators i used had actually cut the outer sleeve of some of the wires, so i am hoping that is the issue, that some wires were loose and had some cuts in them so they were arcing
By what you've described I do not believe you are 180 out. Cut insulators, etc. as you describe sure could do it.

Important! Be sure that #5 and #7 wires are correct at the cap and down at the head. The two are next to each other on the distributor cap and at the plugs so swapping them is easy to do- I have done it myself. The engine WILL run this way- but it'll be running like crap.
Old 11-13-2012, 12:15 PM
Almost Done... hahaha

Last photo:

Quote:
With your #1 cyl at TDC, & the distributor rotor is pointing correctly at the lug in the cap for the #1 spark plug, make sure both the intake & exh rocker arms are level.

If one rocker is lifting, you are 180 degress off on your distributor installation

Also, make sure the wires on the cap run clockwise looking down 1-8-4-3-6-5-7-2
I will check that this afternoon when i put the new wires on, thanks
Old 11-13-2012, 03:10 PM

One additional thought . . . Did you order your camshaft with a 4-7 swap?

Pat
Old 11-13-2012, 03:10 PM
Senior Curmudgeon

Last wiki edit: DynoSim combinations Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 326

Depending on wire quality, it is easy for one wire to feed another if they are run parallel to each other and close together. Try to keep wires at least 1 inch from each other and where they have to cross, use an X junction.
Old 11-13-2012, 03:12 PM
Senior Curmudgeon

Last wiki edit: DynoSim combinations Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 326

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatM View Post
One additional thought . . . Did you order your camshaft with a 4-7 swap?
Pat
Hmmmmm, Joker in the deck?
Old 11-13-2012, 03:14 PM
Almost Done... hahaha

Last photo:

... They were cheap wires so maybe
Old 11-13-2012, 07:27 PM
Almost Done... hahaha

Last photo:

i want to cry right now...

i am so frusterated that i feel like i am going to lose my effing mind...

i pulled the valve cover and watched the #1 exhaust valve open then close, then the intake open and then start to close while i had my thumb over the plug hole and felt air coming out while the wife turned it over untill it lined up with ... so i am pretty darn sure that i am on TDC for #1 on compression stroke, when i lift the cap the rotor is pointing toward #1 (looking at the top of the rotor the metal tab goes from the center to the out side, the out side with the metal is pointing toward #1)

new cap, new rotor, new plug wires (made sure to start with #1 at the post near where the rotor was pointing and set the plug wires acording to the firing order and double checked with the picture in the old camaro chilton manual, new coil, new carb gaskets new carb seal plate, both mixture screws set to 2 turns out

upon start up it had trouble starting, it started ran for a second and then died, it did this a few times then managed to start and idle but it did not want to come up above 1500-2000 and when it did get up to near 2k it started backfiring through the carb, while it was ideling for a second i checked the timing with a light, it was at like 15* before tdc i tried about 10* before TDC and same results with a barely running idle, i moved it the other way to like 30* btdc and it picked up rpm at idle but still didnt want to come up above 2k and backfired through the carb when it did and felt like it was missing bad below 2k. It also does not want to stop when the key is turned off...

It really feels like the timing is off or fueling is jacked but i dont know what else to do... It is the same distributor and carb that was on it when it was running a few months ago. maybe the carb got jacked up and it is just running really lean for some reason, or the diszy is jacked, or i am jacked...

I am lost and frusterated...

dont suppose anyone that knows what they are doing and is in the NorCal East bay area and would want to come drink some beers and bbq and check this thing out

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.