Engine Oil Cooler - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-18-2009, 09:46 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

Engine Oil Cooler

I am looking for input about installing an engine oil cooler. I am currently running a Pontiac 487 cu. in. motor in a street/strip car and want to keep the oil temp under control with limited street cruising. The engine has 13.7:1 static comp and operates at 180 degrees (or less) water temp at the track or on the street (in limited street traffic). I noticed that the oil temp starts to climb a little above 212 degrees with some stop and go traffic but drops a little after I start up again. The issue is, on hot days, the oil temp stays at or above 215 degrees. This seems kinda high to me and got me thinking about a cooler.
1. Does using a cooler and remote oil filter create issues for the wet sump oil pump?
2. Would I loose oil volume and or pressure because of the longer pathway the oil has to travel before it gets back to the engine? Thanks for your input.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-18-2009, 10:15 AM
AKA Lee in KC

Last photo:

Your oil temp is fine. You want it to be at or a little above the boiling point of water (212) to evaporate water and other contaminants out of the oil. This is the stuff pulled out of the crankcase by the PCV system. I seem to remember reading somewhere that 200-220 would be normal operating range in an automotive application.
Old 08-18-2009, 03:20 PM
More for Less Racer

X 2. It needs to be 215 at a minimum to boil out condensation nastiness. High oil temp isn't a worry until it hits 280.
Old 08-18-2009, 04:32 PM
Chasing dreams with a ball bat

Last photo:

I think I saw a thermostatic controlled pancake filter adapter in Summit. Didn't read about it, but it would seem to allow your oil to reach the proper temp and then start to cool after it goes above that, much like the normal cooling system.

Just a thought. Now that I read this thread, I think perhaps that would be the way to go if one wants to keep the oil cool.
Old 08-19-2009, 08:22 AM

Engine Oil Cooler

Thanks for your reply(s). I didn't think about the condensation issue relating to temp. Makes sense. Great. No oil cooler needed. Saves me $$$ for parts I really need.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.