Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Engine oil cooler
View Single Post
Old 02-15-2013, 02:04 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinwhiteduke View Post
I'd be more concerned about what is causing the engine to run hot to start with. Cooling the oil off, or attempting to, is not going to solve the problem.
If I were you, I'd be focusing more on the cooling system, to start with, and other factors like plug heat range and ignition timing, than the oiling. Retarded ignition timing will cause an engine to run hotter.

Duke
Thank you for your time, i set the timing at 15* initial advance for a total of 45 ish, engine runs great, mine is not a true overheating problem, it does get pretty warm under load but temp is fluctuating too much, when driving on the street it's getting too cold even with the electric fan off.
A quick mention about the cooling system, i have a brand new alu radiator with a 2 speed electric fan, i also made a custom fan shroud to enhance cooling action, the first speed is always on and the 2nd comes in when engine goes over 195F, i have no room for a mechanical fan so i opted for this solution, also i have a switch on the dash so i can turn the fan off anytime, usually i keep that off until engine is getting warm, thermostat is a 195 F as well.