engine oil cooler - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-29-2009, 02:29 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

engine oil cooler

hi guys,
using the engine (chevy 350 first gen), mostly in off road i've thought to put an engine oil cooler, the only thing i don't like about those is the oil flow restriction they make.
i'm always concerned about distributor/cam gear wear due to the increased force the oil need to run but i don't really kno how much a cooler can afflict that, any idea or experience?
i saw Derale oil radiator pretty simple, it's basicly a pipe with some curve underneath the "coolant mass" and nothing more, it shouldn't have too much restriction, i already have a Long engine cooler radiator on the shelve but that seem to have more restriction, i don't know, just my opinion.

thank you in advance

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-29-2009, 03:39 PM
Not Considered a Senior Member

Last photo:

Even so I can`t tell you much about oil coolers, or tell you what it`ll effect, I can tell you a way to aide the oiling to your distributor gear. If you look on the HEI or given distributor, there`s a shoulder right above the gear on the housing itself. It`s designed to fall directly into the hole in the block to stabilize it. The trick is, take a rat tail file and file a groove in the shoulder about .050 deep. This way, the oil in the lifter valley will fall down in the groove and direct oil the distributor gear. I used this trick when I ran a regular distributor gear on a roller cam to extend the gears life. Keep in mind there is a direct oil passage to the rear slightly to the right side of the block. Make sure you don`t cut the groove there or it`ll result in a loss in oil pressure.
Old 12-29-2009, 03:55 PM

If you choose to go with the oil cooler then make sure all the hose's and passages are larger to minimize any restrictions. I use a DeRale 16 pass fan cooled remote cooler, works just fine. It's surprising on how much heat the oil carries away from the heads and the underside of the pistons.

In hot weather and when the engine is working hard you want all the cooling you can get.
Old 12-30-2009, 04:53 AM

Last photo:

thank you guys,
@ doublevision, thanx for the trick, i already did that on the distributor to help the lubrication, i hope will work just fine, i've also checked how deep the distr. is to avoid extra power needed to turn the pump, also the shim above the gear is ok, (the distr is brand new and the cam as well).

i'm just in doubt if put the cooler or not, engine got also a pair of Edelbrock alu heads, they should keep the engine a little bit cooler than before or it's just my immagination? any experience about that?

thank you again
Old 12-30-2009, 08:06 AM
throw me under the bus agian

Last photo:

i guess it depends where you are.here in cali my engine builder strongly recommended negative on the cooler i really wanted to instal. maybe it was just my set up? ( hi volume oil pump, high comp. straight 40 wt oil ) i guess the oil needs a certian temp to burn off water ( condensation ) in oil. i think once it starts roasting here in june or so ill do it anyway. i had one in a blazer, and i must say, even after getting off of the freeway, oil remained at 45 pounds. always. i took its oil cooler off to fit headers , and boom, oil pressure would start fluctuating some after prolonged use
Old 12-30-2009, 09:01 AM
Not Considered a Senior Member

Last photo:

Come to think of it, I remember that oil coolers are mostly needed when the engine will be subject to long term upper rpm usage. In a 4X4 application I can`t say I ever seen any of the guys use them but I can see how they`re needed, upper RPM usuage quite a bit as well as not much air movement. Plus the mud that gets all over everything tends to act as a blanket, holding in heat all the more. However, I would likely use synthetic oil before I went to a oil cooler. In my ATV`s which are both air cooled, we changed the oil before we went riding, when we came back the oil was black. So I went over to synthetic on the next trip and the oil was still clear when we returned. I can run synthetic oil and get 5 times the hours out of it compared to conventional oil. For your application, If it were I, I wouldn`t install one, I would just use synthetic oil and use a 180 degree thermostat. But if you wanted a safety net, by all means install one. Anyways, I found this little article for you to read, maybe it`ll help you.
http://www.jagsthatrun.com/V6-instru...er-removal.pdf
Old 12-30-2009, 09:19 AM
Living At The Speed Of Life

Last photo:

I have a B/M oil cooler plus a thermostat which works like this.

I think mine is Derale but there are several choices.

I have the same system for the trans cooler as well.
Old 12-30-2009, 09:27 AM
Last photo:

Any oil needs to be at temperature to function properly and do it's job. I agree that most times an oil cooler on our engines is not needed. I also agree with the suggestion to go with synthetic oil before installing an oil cooler. The high temp breakdown threshold of synthetic oil is so high your engine will be toast long before the synthetic oil gives up.

Vince
Old 12-30-2009, 12:08 PM
Living At The Speed Of Life

Last photo:

My thermostat opens at 180º, oil temp can go to 190º then comes back down slowly.
Even so, slow traffic hot day can see the temp stay up, I´m assuming without the cooler it would be even higher.
Old 12-30-2009, 05:38 PM

Many service vehicleshave engine oil coolers installed because the engines sit at idle for long periods of time (radar cops waiting for you). It's so the oil will not overheat. In many supercharged cars there are oil coolers because there are oil sprays directed to the piston bottoms to keep them cool. Oil is not just for the bearings it is also there for carrying away heat from area's in the engine block where water is not.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.